From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use DFProfi II to monitor a Gateway ?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everybody

I am a total newby to Profibus, so excuse me please, if this is a silly question:

I have a Simatic S7 400 controlling (via Profibus) a robot application on a factory floor. The profibus network also contains a gateway slave to RS-232 which communicates with a LabVIEW RT image processing system. Basically the gateway (HMS-Anybus) is nothing more than a shared memory space which can be accessed from both the Profibus- and the RS-232 side which seems to me a very simple and efficient solution.

What I would like to do in order to investigate (existing???) timing problems in the system is the following:

I have a DF-Profi II in a PXI-Rack and would like to connect this to the Profibus network and use LabVIEW to watch/log the communication between the S7 and the RS-232 over the gateway.

Is this possible? Can anybody give me a few hints how to configure the DF-Profi II? It would have to be in "master" mode, wouldn't it ??

So that would make 2 masters (S7 + DF-Profi) on the bus then?

Any little bit of information is greatly appreciated

Thanks

HU

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,566 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hurban

Hello Hurban,

in my opinion, a Multimaster Network is what you need. See also this link:

http://www.automation.siemens.com/WW/forum/guests/PostShow.aspx?PageIndex=1&PostID=160971&Language=d...

Further Information on the device you intend to use can be found on this page:

http://www.comsoft.de/de/geschaeftsbereiche/industrielle-kommunikation/produkte/profibus-produkte/ba...

Best Regards!

Moritz M.

Message 2 of 3
(5,554 Views)

Thanks a lot Wetzer for the good answer!

Your link seems to refer to exactly the same problem as I have, so I will try the suggested approach. For any further in-depth questions I think I will try giving the Comsoft people a call. I also found the HMS / Anybus support in Germany really excellent - I had a few "newbie" questtions trying to get my system working and they could always solve my problem in a matter of a few minutes. So the Anybus gateway in my opinion is a really clever choice for connecting NI hardware like the EVS to the Profibus.

Many thanks again for you helpful hints

HU

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,548 Views)