Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started: EtherNet/IP with an Endress+Hauser Promass 100

Hello,

I am a Certified LabVIEW Developer but I have no prior experience with EtherNet/IP. A customer has asked us to integrate a flow meter into their application, which communicates with EtherNet/IP.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Connect to the flow meter and check its readings using its web interface
  2. Read the flow meter's operating instructions
  3. Install NI-Industrial Communications for EtherNet/IP 14.0
  4. Run an example that came with #3 (Access Assembly Instance Data (Explicit).vi)

The example runs and I seem to be getting bytes from of the device, but I don't know how to decipher them. I didn't find anything about Assembly Instances in the operator's manual. I see another example (Write and Read Tag.vi) but I can't figure out where to find the device tags.

In short, I'm lost. Would a kind soul please point me in the right direction? Some advice on where to look and what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

If it makes a difference, I've attached the device's EDS file, and can verify that the device is an RSLogix 5000 device (which the Write and Read Tag.vi example requires)

Thanks in advance!

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(10,138 Views)

Sorry, I simply had to RTFM.

I could've sworn I scoured the manual yesterday, but couldn't find the relevant info. This morning, the info was there, clear as day.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for wasting anybody's time.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(10,130 Views)

Hi JKSH,

Thanks for letting us know that you have resolved the issue. Happy coding!

Andrew

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(10,119 Views)

Hello JKSH,

i see this post is a already a bit older. But do you maybe still have the VI for the device? I would be happy to get some inspiration from it. Currently working on my Master's thesis i came accross the same issue: How to connect the Promass A100 to the LabView Project via Ethernet. I am very new to Labview and somehow managed to integrate the serial devices, but the Promass is not so easy.

Greetings from Berlin!

Simon

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(7,071 Views)

@monzi wrote:

How to connect the Promass A100 to the LabView Project via Ethernet.

Hello Simon,

The VI is buried in my archive somewhere, so I'll need some time to dig through it.

Just  to clarify: Are you using generic Ethernet, or EtherNet/IP? They are differerent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EtherNet/IP

Also, my code uses the LabVIEW Driver for EtherNet/IP. Do you have access to this driver? https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/product/ni-industrial-communications-for-ethernet-ip.html

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(7,063 Views)

Hello JKSH,

thanks for your quick response! Oh well, good that you point that out. Just called the manufacturer. With the HART device version i got, it is not possible to use the EtherNet/IP protocols over the RJ45 service interface.

So sadly i guess the Ethernet integration journey of the device comes to a stop here. But i might try and get the values with a script from the web browser interface.

Thank you very much, you saved me some work!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(7,057 Views)

Could you please post the LabVIEW vis 

i am also having issues connecting and communicating with LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(6,623 Views)

@SUYAM wrote:

Could you please post the LabVIEW vis 

i am also having issues connecting and communicating with LabVIEW

What device, and what protocol?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(6,620 Views)

Proline Promass 100 EtherNet/IP Coriolis Mass Flow

i am struggling to find  out the labview support

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(6,615 Views)

@SUYAM wrote:

Proline Promass 100 EtherNet/IP Coriolis Mass Flow

i am struggling to find  out the labview support

You need to communicate with the device via EtherNet/IP. Do you have the LabVIEW Driver for EtherNet/IP? https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/product/ni-industrial-communications-for-ethernet-ip.html

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(6,611 Views)