Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet IP error with Rockwell Armorpoint I/O

I am attempting to communicate between a PC and Rockwell Armorpoint I/O module (1738-AENT). I am using the Access Assembly Instance Data (Explicit) VI from the examples to test this. The get assembly instance returns an empty array. The set assembly instance produces:

Error -251723760 occurred at EthernetIP CIP Set Attribute Single.vi;
Details: CIP Error - Extended status may be available
CIP Status: 0x8 (Service code unsupported)

There is a third assembly that is used to configure the module. This also produces the same error when I try and write the configuration to that assembly. Rockwell technical support confirms the values I'm attempting to send, however they stopped support as they have not tested with and do not support National Instruments products.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,093 Views)

Hi tshal,

Apologies in the delay in response. 

It looks like you are using the example project with the example VI for Explicit messaging to communicate with the Rockwall Armorpoint I/O module.  It looks that you are receiving a CIP error.  Rockwell has mentioned that what you are sending is valid.  The CIP error message typically pertains to something the device connected to the NI adapter sends back to us.  It would seem the service code being provided to the device is not valid.  Could you provide the data sheet for your device, as well as screenshots of the front panel for the example code.  Can you also provide a Wireshark capture of the data as well?  Thank you.

Matt S.
Industrial Communications Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(8,055 Views)

Matt -

Attached is the manual for the Armorpoint and POINT I/O modules (same thing in a different package). Screenshot and Wireshark capture also attached.

Tim Stahl

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,047 Views)

Rockwell technical support must have looked at the bytes being sent again. We recalculated the byte lengths and they were incorret. The correct values should have been 13 and 7 instead of 21 and 8. The correct values have not changed the errors or behavior.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(8,026 Views)

Hi Tim,

It's totally possible that an EIP adapter selectively supports CIP Get/Set Attribute Single (one of the many service codes out there) for a given brand/type.

I didn't spot explicit description regarding this information. Maybe this is not the claimer doc. (there is only a slight mention of Get Attribute Single being used on a particular class/attribute as a diagnostic measure, and nothing seems to be mentioned about the assembly attribute.) You might as well confirm with Rockwell whether this device supports assembly being accessed explicitly using CIP Get/Set Attribute Single.

From the capture, set is not supported, get is.

Also, NI EIP toolkit does not support configuration assembly. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(8,013 Views)

Has anything been found on this problem? I have a similar issue where I can't set the service code for the message. Any ideas how to set the service code on the CIP message? I'm using the NI CIP Get Attribute Single VI.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,553 Views)

We put a little PLC in the middle; this was the cheap and fast solution.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,537 Views)

Wow, that's a huge bummer. I was really hoping to avoid this. Thanks for the response!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,533 Views)