Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet/IP - Implicit messaging with a Sick MLG-2 lightcurtain

I try to integrate the Ethernet/IP SICK MLG-2 lightcurtain (see datasheet in the appendix for more information) into our application. The communication should be maintained between a standalone PC and the Ethernet/IP module from the lightcurtain - there is no PLC involved in the setup. The communication is set up with the Ethernet/IP driver from LabView. 

So far I could get the vendor ID and the product code via explicit messaging and it works fine, see image 

"SICK MLG-2 Product Code.png" and "SICK MLG-2 Vendor ID.png".

But unfortunately I'm unable to read the process data by explicit messaging, see image "SICK MLG-2 Process Data.png".

The data arrives, but all the values are set to zero.

I contacted the SICK support for this problem and according to their response they deliver their process data only by implicit messaging. After going through most of the Ethernet/IP topics here on the board, it seems, that I'm not the only one having problems with implicit messaging and the Ethernet/IP module... One answer I found in this thread and according to it, its not possible to create an implicit I/O communication between labview and the device.

• How does it come, that this important task can not be performed with the LabView Ethernet/IP driver?
  • Is there a workaround in order to obtain the process data?

Thank you in advance for all the help.

Message 1 of 2
(3,437 Views)

I meet the same problem on Keyence DL_EP1 on holilday, no supply on line to reply -_-!

Frank
Test & Validation
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,868 Views)