Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet/IP IAI Actuator (SCON-CA)

Solved!
Go to solution

Recently I bought a SCON-CA IAI Robocyllinder, I wanted to establish Ethernet/IP communication but I haven't been able to do it.

I've played with Access Assembly Instance Data (Explicit data).vi from Ethernet/IP adapter library, I was able to read data from the actuator but no write on it using the default configuration for this VI.

Front Panel.png

On data received, those 0 and 226 is an actual two bytes output combination from the actuator, on the lower side, data to set, I'm setting two bytes with a 10 as decimal values, the actuator should be responding with some of the inputs being turned on, but is not.

Is anyone familiar with IAI actuators and able to send commands trough explicit messages?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,316 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ibermudez

Hi ibermudez,

I'm not familiar with IAI actuators, but I googled and found a manual. On page 185 it says: Ethernet/IP "Allows actuator to be controlled through I/O communication using control signals similar to PIO or numerical data communication. "

This sounds like the IAI actuator acts as a 'slave' device for implicit communication. I know you're working with explicit communication right now, but wanted to let you know in case you want to do implicit communication in the future that our driver doesn't have the ability to act as a 'master' (IO Scanner) and can act as an implicit slave (IO Adapter).

I was looking at the other IAI manual for Ethernet IP with SCON-CA, and it looks like there are some diagnostic LEDs. What do these look like?

You might also consider engaging IAI to confirm what you have write access to in explicit mode. E.g. you might be trying to write data to a read only address, which would explain the behavior you've described.

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,255 Views)

Hello Ibermudez,

I'm also using these axis and I also can't write on them. I can read all the information without any problem.

To check if the write function is working I was sending the "servo on" command. I have no error but I also have no action. 

Did you discovered what was wrong?

Br,

Jorge Amaral

Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,093 Views)

Hello Jorge,

As far as I got, LabVIEW doesn't support Implicit communication, just explicit. The SCON-CA were manufactured to be controlled with implicit methods, sames as a PLC uses.

I worked around by buying a RCB-TU-SIO-B, which is a modbus converter for this IAI controller. Now I can actually write and read back from my SCON-CA with my LV application.

Best regards!

Ignacio Bermúdez

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,090 Views)

Hi Jorge and Ignacio,

From the manual page linked above, it looks like the device can support other communication buses as well:

Capture.JPG

Since it sounds like you already have the EtherNet/IP configuration, you will still have the ability to communicate over serial Modbus. The DSC Module supports modbus (and NI supports this), and the NI Labs library (which is not supported by NI). There are also 485 hardware options for USB and C Series

NI also makes software and hardware that supports communicating as an EtherCAT master, PROFIBUS master or slave, and DeviceNet master or slave.

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
Message 5 of 6
(5,086 Views)

Hello to Ignacio and Andrew,

I've made a mixed solution that might be enought to the work that I have to do. I will use modbus serial to set configurations and ethernet/ip to read the load/speed/position during the test. It's not a very fancy solution but it's the one that I've found that doesn't makes me buy any thing else.

Thank you both for your support. 

Br,

Jorge Amaral

Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,031 Views)