cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -1074388957 occurred at Open DeviceNet Interface.vi

I keep getting the following error message

Error -1074388957 occurred at Open DeviceNet Interface.vi

Possible reason(s):

NI-CAN: (Hex 0xBFF62023) The Interface is invalid or unknown. Solution: Verify that the interface is assigned to a specific port within the Devices and Interfaces branch of the Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX).
=========================
NI-Industrial Communications for DeviceNet: (Hex 0xBFF62023) The Interface is invalid or unknown. Solution: Verify that the interface is assigned to a specific port within the Devices and Interfaces branch of the Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX).

Here is my system Info:

Windows 7 Pro 64

LabVIEW 2010 32 bit

PCI-CAN card

Drivers Installed: NI Device Net 1.6.7, NI-IndCom for Devicenet 2.2, NI-CAN 2.7.5

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(8,270 Views)

Hi Andy, 

If you have a devicenet card installed you probably selected the wrong interface in LabVIEW (dnet0, dnet1, ...). If you aren't sure the card is installed correctly, look in MAX for the card and make sure you can detect it. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(8,264 Views)

Everything seems ok in NI MAX and the device name matches in NI MAX and LabVIEW (dnet0).  The self test passes in NI MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(8,251 Views)

What VI are you using? Can you post it and screenshots of your setup? 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(8,248 Views)

Here is a screenshot of NI MAX and of the diagram of the VI that gives an error.  I have also attached the VI.  Thanks, Andy

NI MAX screenshot.JPG

Open Interface.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(8,245 Views)
I noticed that there are two sets of devicenet VI libraries in my LabVIEW 2010 vi.lib directory that have the same name. The supposedly correct one that LabVIEW automatically places on the block diagram from the palette is from the "DeviceNet" folder.  This one gives the error described earlier when I run it.  There is another one in the "Nidnet" folder with the same name and this one works and does not give an error.  TheNidnet one appears older since it has the older looking front panel objects. 

Does not work (error hex BFF62023):
C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\vi.lib\DeviceNet\VIAPI\Open DeviceNet Interface.vi

Works:
C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\vi.lib\Nidnet\Nidnet.llb\Open DeviceNet Interface.vi

It is correct to use the nidnet folder with LabVIEW 2010 and newer or should I be using the DeviceNet folder version.  If the nidnet version is the correct one, is there a way to make it so these appear on the palette when I go to add them to the block diagram?

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(8,219 Views)

Hi Andy, 

Great troubleshooting, is this the card you are using? You have found the older DNET api which supports it. My apologies for delaying you if that is the case-I should have seen that off your original post. 

A few years ago we jumped to a new API and some of the legacy cards were not supported when the change was made. A list of supported hardware for the newer NI IndComm for DeviceNet API is in the readme

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(8,214 Views)

Is there any drawback to using the older VIs?  Are they compatible with all the new cards as well?  Thanks, Andy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(8,210 Views)

Hi Andy, 

The old VIs should work well with the older cards. They were slower and less fully featured. The DNET API will work with the older cards but not the newer ones. 

If you are just getting started on your project I would consider getting a card that supports NI IndCom for Devicenet, as that is what we are using going forward. I you have a pre-existing application you can port it to the new driver with the instructions here. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(8,207 Views)

Hi,

I am new in the use of NI PCI8532 DeviceNet card, i just tried to test it with an example of devicenet palette (Easy IO Config),

but the program show this msg and i don't how to config it because in IN Max idon't have enough information.

So, how can I do?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(7,011 Views)