Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to use LabVIEW Real Time with a reflective memory node?

For reference with an external data system that will be temporarily installed at a customer's site, they have asked that I tie into their data network to record data from their control system.  They apparently use a reflective memory network for data sharing.  I have no prior experience with reflective memory, but all references to it involve real time systems.  I do not need absolute determinism to acquire this data, I can be late by several milliseconds with no problem.  Do I still need to use LabVIEW Real Time to interface with the PXI reflective memory node?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,000 Views)

Hi AEI_JR,

What PXI system are you using in your application? Also, what software are you currently using? 

Regards,

Jordan G.

LabVIEW Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,977 Views)

Jordan,

Thanks for the reply.  The only module I have researched is the GE cPCI-5565PIORC.  I have no prior experience with reflective memory, and the system has not yet been built; I am trying to design one to meet my customer's need.  I plan to write custom software in LabVIEW that will simultaneously collect dynamic data and poll the customer's reflective memory network.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,961 Views)

Hi AEI, 

I have worked with that card briefly before. It has a Visa based driver and RT isn't required. However, I haven't worked with the card on a non-rt system and am not sure if there any issues to be aware of. 

A lot of work has gone into integrating support for the card into Veristand, it may save you enough development time to use at an RT-Veristand system to be worth the extra cost. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
Message 4 of 5
(5,958 Views)

Thanks.  I have sent an email to my local NI technical rep asking for help with this application.  Being that I would be trying to distribute a system with three unfamiliar pieces and no way to simulate locally, I'm going to have to work closely with someone that knows what they're doing.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,940 Views)