From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to use LabVIEW Real Time with a reflective memory node?

For reference with an external data system that will be temporarily installed at a customer's site, they have asked that I tie into their data network to record data from their control system.  They apparently use a reflective memory network for data sharing.  I have no prior experience with reflective memory, but all references to it involve real time systems.  I do not need absolute determinism to acquire this data, I can be late by several milliseconds with no problem.  Do I still need to use LabVIEW Real Time to interface with the PXI reflective memory node?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,040 Views)

Hi AEI_JR,

What PXI system are you using in your application? Also, what software are you currently using? 

Regards,

Jordan G.

LabVIEW Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,017 Views)

Jordan,

Thanks for the reply.  The only module I have researched is the GE cPCI-5565PIORC.  I have no prior experience with reflective memory, and the system has not yet been built; I am trying to design one to meet my customer's need.  I plan to write custom software in LabVIEW that will simultaneously collect dynamic data and poll the customer's reflective memory network.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,001 Views)

Hi AEI, 

I have worked with that card briefly before. It has a Visa based driver and RT isn't required. However, I haven't worked with the card on a non-rt system and am not sure if there any issues to be aware of. 

A lot of work has gone into integrating support for the card into Veristand, it may save you enough development time to use at an RT-Veristand system to be worth the extra cost. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
Message 4 of 5
(5,998 Views)

Thanks.  I have sent an email to my local NI technical rep asking for help with this application.  Being that I would be trying to distribute a system with three unfamiliar pieces and no way to simulate locally, I'm going to have to work closely with someone that knows what they're doing.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,980 Views)