From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNP3

We are trying to establish communication between Master and the Outstation using NI DNP3 example VI's. We don't know how to setup Master VI and outstation VI parameters. Is there any procedure available that could guide us? It would be really helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(7,869 Views)

Hi Skumar77,

Run Master Application.vi and click reate channel. Fill in IP. For ease of testing on the same machine, input 127.0.0.1 and click OK. Default port number matches with that of the outstation already.

Select the channel you just created and click create session and click OK. The default parameters for source and destination already match those on the outstation. 

Double click the session you just created, and now you ready to poll data, after you run an outstaion VI.

You may as well try the other 3 simpler master VIs. Set the IP and they should be ready to communication with the outstation example with default values.

Here's a white pager on DNP3 that may help you understand DNP3.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(7,852 Views)

We tried this but we are still not able to establish a communication. We are very new to DNP3, so if you can give us detailed procedure. Which IP address in needed to be filled in Master VI and outstation VI? And what is meant by polling?

Please help

Sushil Kumar

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(7,803 Views)

Hi Sushil,

For IP address, it's the one for the target to which you want communicate, so IP on the master should be filled with the value for the target, and vice versa for the target.

127.0.0.1 points to local loop so if you run both master and outstation on your local machine, you should fill the master IP that value.

Polling is what master initiated as a request for data of certain criteria, as opposed to Event, which may come from an outstation "Unsolicitedly" upon certain trigger, if allowed in the setting (set in VI properties). This is my personal understanding. You should refer to official specification for precise statement.

Run directly the master examples like Poll Point.vi or Write Point.vi and an outstation example like Generic Oustation.vi, and since the parameters (IP, port, source, destiation) match, they can communication right-away. And their simple block diagram will help you understand how these DNP3 VI work.

For Master Application.vi, run it and click Create Channel, and input the IP (or select serial tab if you use serial physical layer), then click OK.

Select the channel in the Device pannel, and click create session. Just use the default value of destination and source, click OK.

Now double-click the master session 3-4 in the Device pannel, and choose one tab (like Analog Output )and experiment with the buttons like send ( the request/command). 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(7,789 Views)

Going ahead with this. I am trying to read analog inputs with a Master Application. Since, there is only one application for Master in the examples I am not able to understand as to how I should program it. Can you provide me with any leads into this? and can we set a polling period for master? is it analogous to "Channel data update rate"?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(7,714 Views)

Same for me, I am not able to get master VI and Outstation VI communicating with each other. We have used the procedure mentioned in earlier replies but nothing seems to we working. A more elaborate example would be of much help. I will appreciate if NI can give us some tutorials about DNP3 configuration, like they have tutorials for other products. The support documentation given is very basic, and does not guides us about the procedure to setup the communicating systems.

Thanks,

Sushil

Kumar

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(7,708 Views)

Sushil,
How many Master VI examples does your driver have?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(7,703 Views)

Hi guys, 

I will be posting an example on this soon to the forums and we will likely be changing the shipping examples. I have attached an example for serial communication that uses an RT target and a serial cable and another that just uses TCP. 

You should be able to form a simple event-response and see values updated. 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(7,687 Views)

Hi Saurav and skumar77,

As an addtional example, refer to the attached two example. They illustrate how to poll events, solictedly or unsolicitedly.

As attached screenshot shows there should be four master examples. If you find otherwise, please tell me your version info. And you may try to reinstall DNP3.

Thanks.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(7,679 Views)

Hello LewisL,

It would be really great if you could make a video tutorial for "using DNP3 - Master communicating with Outstation". I tried the way you suggested but it didn't work also I feel this video will help beginners with DNP3.

I would really appreciate for your feedback.

Thanks

Shub

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(7,513 Views)