Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNP3 Configuring Example Code and sbRIO-9605

Using the LabVIEW DNP3 Example, “Master Application.vi”, I’m unable to establish communications with my DNP outstation device.  My device is a Cooper Power Systems Source Transfer controller connected to a sbRIO-9605 using serial comport 1.

Does anyone have documentation or working LabVIEW examples for properly configuring the Industrial Communications for DNP3 drivers to Create Channels and Sessions for reading a single Class-1 Binary Input table value?  Do I need to create a LV Real-Time Project and deploy code to the sbRIO target?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(7,291 Views)

Hi Todd,

Do you think you could provide some details of how you attempted to use the 'Master Application.vi' example program and which error was produced? Screenshots are always very helpful! In the meantime, here are the two resources I was able to locate which address using our DNP3 driver :

NI-Industrial Communications for DNP3 API for LabVIEW Help

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/1767827802E3423B86257ABB0030A9A0

Introduction to DNP3

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/11863/en/

I think with some more details of how the software is failing someone might be able to offer more advice. 

Best regards,

Andy C.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(7,276 Views)

Hi Tod,

You don't need to create a RT proejct for DNP3 to work. It can work on PC.

Master Application.vi is much more comprehensive than the other 3 master VI - Poll Event.vi, Poll Point.vi and Write Point.vi which I recommend that you may try first. (They have much straight forward block diagram than master application.)

To use master application.vi, first create channel and then session, and then double click the session. Go to the binary input tab and click poll.

There are quite some settings to be careful with both on master and outstation side. I agree with Andy that you should be more specific about the errors and how you did it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(7,269 Views)

Using the provided examples, Master Application.vi, Poll Event.vi, or Poll Point.vi, and a sbRIO controller with onboard serial port connected to my slave device, I’m not establishing any communication with the hardware. I’ve validated the sbRIO IP address using Max. I also know my slave device is working using a customer provided DNP utility configured to COM1 9600-N-8-1, with option to ignore CTS handshaking, RBE Master: 1234 and IED Slave 1.

Using the DNP3 LV code running on my Host PC, how do I configure the TCP/IP and serial port of the sbRIO and what should the Source/Destination session values be configured to? 

Thank you,

Todd

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(7,255 Views)

Hi Todd,

Are you getting some specific error code? timeout error? so what is happening exactly when you run those examples?

Regards

Frank R.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,227 Views)

Hi Todd,

TCP/IP on your host PC should be that of the target device.

Serial port number should match that of the host PC that you are using. (Make sure it's not occupied by other programs.)

Source/Destination value should equal to the Destination/Source value on your target machine respectively.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,207 Views)

The Create Master Channel and Create Master Session VI’s return no errors, even if I provide an invalid IP Address or my sbRIO is disconnected. I only get a Timeout warning, (44201) when Reading Event, never any errors with informative descriptions.

Attached is a diagram of my hardware setup.  I’d like to ensure I’m configuring the DNP3 VI’s to properly communicate with my IP Network and Serial Port so suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Todd

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(7,193 Views)

Hi Todd,

I think you may have got the idea wrong. Your diagram shows the physical layer for DNP3 is serial, thus you should choose serial as the polymorphic instance of create channel.vi rather than IP networking.

Your PC talks to subRIO through LabVIEW, if observing is your goal. And this part of communication has nothing to do with DNP3.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(7,140 Views)

Hi LewisL,

If I use the Serial “Create Channel” VI’s, then how does LabVIEW know where to find my sbRIO? Is there a default TCP/IP address that the LabVIEW software expects the sbRIO hardware to be configured to? For example; (169.254.x.x). I can see my sbRIO using NI-MAX and read the IP address as (192.168.33.2), so I know that the connection is valid, the hardware contains 1 comport, and the latest software is loaded.

What can I do to debug these communication problems?

Thanks,

Todd

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(7,131 Views)

Hi Todd,

This is actually about the topic of how LabVIEW manages projects with targets.

Basically, if you want something to run on a target, you must first create a LabVIEW project and add a remote target in it, either manually by adding predefined ones or discover them online automatically, the process of which needs IP explicitly or implicitly. And you create or move a VI to the target so that when you click run, it's deployed to the target.

LabVIEW can make full use of the target and VIs depolyed to it automatically, and can display information as if they are being run locally (so every debugging method you use can be used the same way).

This is what LabVIEW as a development environment offers and you don't have to take care of this part of the communication.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(7,109 Views)