Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting LabVIEW to RS485

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using a Delta temperature controller with RS 485 communication port. i am able to monitor the temperature in pc through device software DTCOM but I want to monitor and record the process value temperature using Lab View 10 software. As I am beginner so any kind of help will be deeply appreciated.

My mail Id is sharmapradeep014@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(16,270 Views)

Hi prad999,

I would be helpful to have more information on the hardware you are using to generate this data and sent it to LabVIEW. In the meantime, I have attached a tutorial that outlines a starting point for using RS 485 with LabVIEW.

Serial Communication Starting Point: http://www.ni.com/tutorial/4049/en/

Regards,

ShaneK

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(16,228 Views)

The data is generated by a Delta series temperature controller with a K type thermocouple as input sensor. I want to monitor the process value temperature on PC through lab view 10. The controller is provided with a RS 485 communication port.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(16,196 Views)

You can use NI Labs API for LabVIEW. It is easy to use. I've just developed an application (a MODBUS RTU application) that uses this library and it works very well. 

You can download from here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Labs-Toolkits/LabVIEW-Modbus-API/ta-p/3524019 but I think you need LabVIEW 2012 or later. 

Emre

Actor Framework rocks!
Emre TUZUNER
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(16,017 Views)

Hi,

Like Shane said give us some more information about the hardware on both sides. Manual of the instrument and the converter you are using connected to your computer.

Your first concern should be the hardware connection. If that looks OK you can proceed to the software/communication part.

Kees

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(16,007 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author prad999

It looks as if you should be able to use the VISA write & Read primitives once it is properly connected.  The command strings and responses are similar.  Just look into the manual to determine the coding to setup and control the instrument as desired.  These VISA primitives are available in your current version of LabVIEW.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
Message 6 of 6
(15,858 Views)