From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change PDO mapping in EtherCAT

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

is it possible to change the PDO mapping of an EtherCAT slave during runtime ? The questions was already asked at the post Setting the PDOs in an EtherCAT Slave. But it is nor clear if it is now possible or not. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,761 Views)

Not with an NI EtherCAT slave (i.e. 9144 / 9145).

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
Message 2 of 8
(8,695 Views)

And it is possible to change it for third party EtherCAT slave? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,689 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(8,682 Views)

This method i allready now. But I will change my PDO mapping during runtime. If you go through the post i added in my first answer you will find the following message:

"You do not do this by changing or modifying the XML file. If fact, the file should never be changed.

In TwinCAT, you can change the PDO selection with a few mouse clicks and this does not change the XML file whatsoever.

In order to reach the full features of a bus terminal, you must be able to change the PDOs. Otherwise, the end customer will not be able to use all of the features of EtherCAT."

The post is 4 years old and my question is if it is now possible to change the PDO mapping and find the changed PDOs then programmatically during runtime. Because if I change the PDO mapping during runtime using SDO commands then by searching for the changed PDO i am not able to find them.

best regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(8,678 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author daniel59

Sorry for missing your original post. In that case, I am afraid there is still not a method to change the PDO mapping of an EtherCAT slave during runtime.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(8,672 Views)

I know this is an old post, but did you find a work-around for this problem?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,403 Views)

any update about this old but really interesting issue?

Let us know,

Thanks,

FDA

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,915 Views)