IF-RIO

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to fetch samples of the input analog signal

HI,

I am using NI PCI 5640R IF RIO. I use LabVIEW FPGA 2010 in Windows7 with the driver NI 5640R version 1.5 . I'm just trying to run the Example codes which came along with the Driver.

I find that I am able to run only the example project titled "ni5640R Singe Tone Output". When I run the host VI, I observe the expected analog signals from the output ports. But I'm not able to run any other example given along with this driver.

So, when I run the project titled "ni5640 Analog Input", I get an error message as "Invalid Calibration"....

and when I run the project titled "ni5640 Analog Input", I get an error message as "Readback value does not match the written value"....

I have attached the snapshots of the error messages. Kindly take a look at it. Also, I have attached the example codes that I'm using.

It would be great if anyone can point out my mistake or suggest a workaround.

My ultimate goal is to send and receive data via the ports using NI 5640R.

Thanks

Pratheep

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,595 Views)

Pratheep,

We are looking into your problem.

A few questions:

• Has this particular IF-RIO ever been able to successfully run the broken examples? or is this a new board?
  • What brand and model of PC do you have the IF-RIO plugged into?

I have an possible idea on what might be causing the ADC readback error. Try the following experiment:

1) Make sure LabVIEW is completely closed.
2) Navigate to C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\instr.lib\ni5640R\Configuration\NI-5640R VIs\subVIs (if you are on a 64bit OS then it will be "Program Files x86")

3) Backup or rename "ni5640R ADC 05 - Soft Sync.vi"

4) Copy the attached version into that folder

5) Open and run the "Analog Input and Output" example again.

This will not fix the calibration data issue, but it might fix the ADC readback issue.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,488 Views)

With regards to the calibration error, please unzip and run the attached Cal Checker VI and post back a screenshot of the Front Panel results.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,475 Views)

Hello Dsangree,

Thanks for the reply.

This is an old board. It was used few years ago and it was working fine then.

I am using DELL studio laptop. I connect the board using a box that connects 4 PCI slots to laptop via Express Card /54 slot.

I have tried the procedure you suggested. But still the   ADC "Readback" problem persists.

Kindly let me know if there is anyother workaround.

Thanks

Pratheep

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,468 Views)

Here is the screenshot.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,467 Views)

So I think I know what is causing the calibration error, and the good news is that there is a simple workaround. Before you run the VI, deselect the "Apply ADC Calibration?" control, and for the input and output example, deselect both the "Apply ADC Calibration" and "Apply DAC Calibration" controls. This keeps the code that utilizes the Calibration data from running. After you have deselected the control(s), just run the VI.

The ADC readback issue is more elusive. That error simply means that when we tried to write to a register, then read it back, the value we got back from the register was not the same as what we had written. I wonder if a chip or something got knocked loose in the past few years. Also, we have not tested that particular laptop/PCI expansion box combination. Is it the same setup that was used in the past? I will talk with the Product Support Engineer about what your options are.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,447 Views)

Have you use the exact same setup in the past (that particular laptop/PCI expansion box combination)? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,421 Views)