IF-RIO

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-5640R for my thesis

Hi everyone!

First, I apologize for my english, but I'll do my best to be understood:)

So, I'm starting with my thesis that I have to defend at the end of this year, and my mentor(?) gave me this PCI-5640R card to explore. At this point I must say, that I'm totally rookie with this:( Even more, I don't even know how to explore it. OK, I installed card in my PC, installed LabVIEW, drivers for the PCI card etc. It gets complicated or frustrated when I try to run some demos - it has always some errors.I read "Gettting started" thing, but still no success:( A lot of "VIs" is missing while loading example.

All I have to do is to run some demos for PCI-5640R card that will demonstrate it's functions and capabilities. And my thesis is basically done...well, still have to dome reasearch on SDR, DPS, LabVIEW etc.

Any help, suggestions will be more then appreciated!

Best regards from Slovenia!

Senad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,335 Views)

@SenadMur wrote:

Hi everyone!

First, I apologize for my english, but I'll do my best to be understood:)

So, I'm starting with my thesis that I have to defend at the end of this year, and my mentor(?) gave me this PCI-5640R card to explore. At this point I must say, that I'm totally rookie with this:( Even more, I don't even know how to explore it. OK, I installed card in my PC, installed LabVIEW, drivers for the PCI card etc. It gets complicated or frustrated when I try to run some demos - it has always some errors.I read "Gettting started" thing, but still no success:( A lot of "VIs" is missing while loading example.

All I have to do is to run some demos for PCI-5640R card that will demonstrate it's functions and capabilities. And my thesis is basically done...well, still have to dome reasearch on SDR, DPS, LabVIEW etc.

Any help, suggestions will be more then appreciated!

Best regards from Slovenia!

Senad

Senad,

I think I could better asses what is going on if you tell me what software you are running.

Please tell me your:

Operating System Version?

Operating System 32 or 64bit?
LabVIEW version?

LabVIEW 32bit or 64bit?
Are you using LabVIEW FPGA?
NI-RIO Version?
NI-5640R Driver Version?

These National Instruments software versions can be found in Measurement and Automation Explorer with the exception of the NI-5640R Driver. The NI-5640R driver version can be found by going to control panel >> add/remove programs >> National Instruments Software.

Also, if you write down a few of the missing file names it might help me figure out what is missing.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,331 Views)

Thanks for your quick reply!

Operating System Version? Windows XP 2002 with SP3

Operating System 32 or 64bit? 32bit
LabVIEW version? LabVIEW 9.0f3 Professional

LabVIEW 32bit or 64bit? 32-bit

Are you using LabVIEW FPGA?

OK, I think here is the key of my problem. I remember when I installed LabVIEW it asked me about programming method (FPGA or Instrument Driver if I am correct). I chose Instrument Driver, and now I'm trying to run FPGA Module?! Could this be an issue? Please correct me if I'm wrong: if I just want to run demos with PCI card in a PC and not connecting nothing on PCI's Input/Output, then there is no need installing FPGA Module, right? But then I have to run "drivers" examples not "FPGAs", don't I? And demos must be exactly for this PCI card,right?

NI-RIO Version? 3.3
NI-5640R Driver Version? 1.4

I'm also attaching an error that occurs when loading VIs.

I hope I'm gonna finish this on time, 'cause I'm so lost here:)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,321 Views)

Ok, I have a guess as to what could be causing your issue. I believe that you did not install some of the necessary components from the NI-5640R driver.
Try this:

Make sure LabVIEW is closed.
Go to Add/Remove Programs >> National Instruments Software
Scroll down to the NI-5640R 1.4 driver, left-click it and then select modify.
Make sure you have the following components selected: LabVIEW 2009 support, FPGA module Support, and Examples.
Click Next and finish the install.

Now reopen the example.

When you have all of these components installed you should be able to run both the "Driver" examples and the "FPGA" examples. You will only be able to modify the VI under the FPGA Target if you have LabVIEW FPGA installed.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,313 Views)

dsangree thanks a lot! That fixed my problem! I did exactly what you wrote and voila!:) And now I have to write the hole thesis on this card and example:( I have no idea how to put 50 pages of text together:)

Anyway, thank you again, you saved hours of my "precious" time when solving this:)

Bye!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,306 Views)

I am glad I could help. Good luck on your thesis.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,301 Views)