From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

IF-RIO

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate sinus in FPGA

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am trying to generate a sinus at 13,56MHz on a 5641R. I manage to do this on the host, but now I want to create this on the FPGA because after I want to realise some modulation to make RFID. And I need to have all the code in the FPGA.

Does someone have an idea of how i can do this, or an example?

Thank you

Cordialement,

Simon D.
CLA | Certified LabVIEW Architect
CTA | Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(10,419 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SimonD

Hi Simon, 

You can either use Xilinx core generator and the IP integration node to create a DDS based waveform or you can create it using LabVIEW FPGA . The LabVIEW FPGA tutorial also explains how to use a LUT containing a sine wave, which if you will only be using a single frequency may be a more simple route to go.  

JaceD
Signal Sources Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 12
(10,410 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for this example.

I look it but it's write  "On an R series board this example will run with the maximum 1 MHz update rate of the analog outputs."

So do you think I can reach 13,56Mhz on my IF RIO? If yes, is there any changes to do on this example?

And you're rigth, if I can make this without the core generator, it will be easier.

Thank you for your time

Cordialement,

Simon D.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(10,403 Views)

Sorry for not being more clear. The LabVIEW FPGA example is meant to be more of a guide as to how to accomplish this with IF-RIO, You will need to make a few changes such as running it in a single cycle timed loop rather than using a loop timer and adjusting the inputs accordingly. I see no major issues keeping you from running at your desired rate. Please post back if you run into trouble implementing the code. 

JaceD
Signal Sources Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(10,393 Views)

I used in my former projects with 5641R successfully the FPGA-sine-function for similar tasks.

But therefore I think you're relation between FPGA-clock and target-frequency is not really good: 2,96...  (no n-times of FPGA-clock).

What kind of modulation do you want to use?

The 5641R is capable to create a sine-tone of itself (when configured as single-frequency).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(10,385 Views)

Hi,

I want to use amplitude modulation.

I am trying to modulate a signal when it's generate with the sine tone. It's not a problem to create the carrier with the sine tone vi, but I don't know if there is a way to find this signal in the FPGA to change the amplitude or an other way to make the modulation in the FPGA.

Cordialement,

Simon D.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(10,381 Views)

Hi,

this doesn't sound too complicated - if you have the I/Q-data of the sine on FPGA-level then you can tamper its strength, with a scalar. Result would be an AM-modulated signal.

And... to re-think the first problem: if you want to generate the sine signal on FPGA level, I would use the property of I/Q-modulation, that when you feed I with sine and Q with cos, you will get a single sine signal as result (the resulting mirror side band signal for sine on I will be deleted by the cos-part on Q).

As idea for the targeted 13,56MHz: set center frequency of IFRIO to 15MHz and create a sine and cos (with FXP library) of 1,44 MHz - which is not a problem with 40 MHz. These two signals feed in I and Q (with (-1)*cos)... should result in the wished signal.

Greets,

Lars

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(10,372 Views)

I think it's not really difficult to realize my project, but the RF it's a new world for me and I'm a little lost. 

I'm looking on the different possibility, but I think I will generate the sinus on the host level, and make the AM modulation on the FPGA-level.

Do you think it's possible? If I use the quadrature mode vi, with a 13,56MHz center frequency, and write I/Q data with a lower frequency in the FPGA?

And thank you for your time

Cordialement,

Simon D.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(10,368 Views)

Hi,

if you can set the IFRIO to such a center frequency (I don't know if it's possible), then it is not needed to generate a signal on Host.

Reason is that your AM-modulation would be then a very easy task: just set Q to always 0 - and modulate with I. Strength of signal will then be a scalar to the value feeded to I.

Just to remember: Mixing I with 1 (constant) and Q with 0 will result in a clean sine signal of set center frequency (here: 13,56MHz).

The value of I-component equals then just with signal strength.

Message 9 of 12
(10,365 Views)

OK I do this and I give you a feedback.

Thanks

Cordialement,

Simon D.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(10,359 Views)