IF-RIO

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functions >> FPGA Interface palette missing

I'm going through the getting started document that came with the IF-RIO documentation.  The document refers to a "Functions>>FPGA Interface" palette that includes the "Open FPGA VI Reference" and "Read/Write Control" function, however I cannot find them in the function palette (and neither can the search).  If I open up one of the examples that came with the IF-RIO, the blocks are present, and I can copy them to my VI.

If I check the help for the "Open FPGA VI Reference" (or any of the blocks that are in the FPGA Interface palette), and try to find it on the functions palette, I get an error that says:
"Object not found. The object might exist in a different palette view or might not be supported on the execution target currently selected.

Select Tools>>Options to change the palette view or select Operate>>Select Execution Target to change the execution target."

However, there is no Select Execution target under the Operate menu, and I do not know where the FPGA Interface palette is to add it to the functions palette.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(10,297 Views)
I'm seeing the same problem...

--Mark
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(10,282 Views)

Hi Evan

The FPGA Interface palette that includes the "Open FPGA VI Reference" and "Read/Write Control" function is installed by LV FPGA.  This will show up at the bottom of the Functions palette, in text form instead of the usual images of icons.

It may not show up depending on the target of the VI that you are attempting to use it in.  If the target of the VI is a “FPGA Target”, the palette does not show up.  If the target of the VI is “My Computer”, then there may be an issue with the installation of LV FPGA. 

In LabVIEW 8, the bottom left hand corner of the VI window will show the target of the VI.

Jerry

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(10,271 Views)
Jerry:
   Thanks for your response.

There must have been a problem when installing LV FPGA.  I'm running LV 8, and the bottom left says "My Computer"; howeverI don't see the FGPA palette.

How do I go about correcting this?

--Mark
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(10,263 Views)
I was browsing through the Program Files\National Instruments\ directory, and I noticed that in addition to the LV8 directory, there was also a LV7 directory.  The computer was a fresh install of XP, with only LV8 installed.  The LV7 folder seems to have VIs that might be related to FPGAs (sat. add, for example).  Could this be related?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(10,259 Views)

Hi

I’m not sure why the LV FPGA Interface is not in the Functions Palette.  What version of LV FPGA have you installed?  I think it is a version 8 beta.

I have two suggestions. 

1. Copy the files that you found in the LV 7 folder to the LV 8 folder and then open LabVIEW 8 and see if this corrected the problem.

2. Uninstall NI 5640R, NI RIO, and LV FPGA.  I have put the released version of LV FPGA up on our ftp site: ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/rf/ni-5640r/install/

The file name is: LV-FPGA_8.0.zip

The password is: niifrio

Install the released version of LV FPGA.  When installing, there is a screen that shows components that will be installed.  Ensure that LabVIEW 8 is on one of the line items to install files to.

After installing LV FPGA, check the Functions Palette for the FPGA Interface palette.

If these two suggestions do not work.  I suggest that you post this question to the "LabVIEW" and "Real-Time Measurement and Control" message boards.  The experts on LV FPGA monitor those boards more than this one.  This one is actually hidden from most users.

Then reinstall NI RIO and NI 5640R

Jerry

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(10,252 Views)
"1. Copy the files that you found in the LV 7 folder to the LV 8 folder and then open LabVIEW 8 and see if this corrected the problem."

This actually broke my LV install - it gives me errors about not being able to find the proper vis/subvis in addons\_hostinterface.llb when I try to open a previously-working VI.  I tried both the ones in the LV7 and 8 folders and they did not contain the proper VIs (nirviGetReadWriteControl, for example).  I'll give re-installing a go.

We were using the release version of LVFPGA 8, but the beta version of
NI-RIO 2.0.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(10,242 Views)
I would go to:

And download the released version of NI-RIO if going the whole reinstall route.

J
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(10,236 Views)
After reinstalling the version of LVFPGA you linked, the blocks show up as they should in the palette.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(10,227 Views)
I found the problem. 

I had modfied <LabView>\menus\default\root.mnu prior to installing LV FPGA.  Apparently the LV FPGA installer saw the file was changed and didn't want to overwrite it.

I got the root.mnu file from a machine with a successful LV FPGA install and put it where it belongs, and now it works.

Jerry, thanks for your help.  Evan, thanks for the root.mnu file.

--Mark
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(10,214 Views)