Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending mail from Rpi

Dear
I tell you that I have made a program in labview whereby the amount of rain that falls on a rain gauge is measured.
Once the data is obtained, it is sent by e-mail.
When I run the program from my pc on the raspberry everything works fine, but when I build a real-time application and run it as start up the email is not sent.
I consult, is it possible to send emails from the raspberry pi, building an application in real time and running the program as a start up?
If necessary, I could attach my vi.

Thank you all

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,750 Views)

What are using to send the email?  I am sure it is possible to accomplish this in multiple different ways.  A more complete explaination is required as to how you are trying to accomplish this is required.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,748 Views)

Thank you very much DavidWilt for the prompt reply.
I am attaching an image with a summary of my vi, in which you can see the method I use to send the email.
If you need to know anything else, please let me know.
Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,740 Views)

Ok, you are using Gmail, which I have used in the past for emails with LabVIEW.

Here are some ideas/questions:

1) When you say it works from your PC, assume you mean you run it without using the Pi at all, correct?  That would mean the logic works with Gmail and we need to see what is different on the Pi.

2) Have you ran the VI on the Pi and debugged it?  Are there any errors? If so were?  The VIs may not be supported on the Pi or you may need to do some additional setup on the Pi to get this to work.

3) If there are no errors when running the VI on the Pi, maybe it is a security issue with the Gmail account you are trying to send the email from.  You will probably have to approve the Pi as a new device inorder to send the emails.

If you can walk through these items and let me know where the issue occurs I may be able to offer some additional insite.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,719 Views)

1- No, I mean that I compile and download the program in the Rpi, but without making a real-time application and running the program as start up.
2- No errors are observed.
3- Regarding Gmail, I have already made the settings so that it does not block the entry of email from "non-secure" devices and, as I clarify in point 1, the emails arrive.

The problem happens when I create the realtime application and run the program as start up. Working like this, I have not managed to get the emails to my account.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,710 Views)

Thanks for all the additional information.  Based on what you have stated it appears that something is different when deployed to run on start up.  Since it works

running when debugging the VI we would need some additional code to see what is happening when deployed.  I am hoping there is an error occuring that will provide some additional information.

I have a project that I can use to see if there is an error occuring when deployed.  I will try and check it out this week and I will report back what I find.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,700 Views)