Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run LabVIEW executable on Raspberry Pi as a GUI/HMI

I'm trying to run a LabVIEW executable on a raspberry pi instead of windows computer. I want to use the raspberry pi as a HMI to display sensor data on a VI/GUI written in LabVIEW.

I found a 3rd-party solution from tsxperts labview for raspberry pi , but the software seems to have been discontinued. This is exactly what I need. Is the new LINX able to do this? Or are there other solutions you can recommend?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,746 Views)

A LabVIEW executable on a Raspberry Pi is headless, meaning it doesn't have a GUI. Only some of the higher end (pricy) NI cRIO RT controllers have support for a front panel GUI when you run the application as deployed executable on the target.

As long as you run your program from within a LabVIEW project, your Windows computer displays the GUI and your remote target executes the VI code, but once you deploy it, there is only the remote target left and that does not let you have a GUI.

There are of course ways to deal with that. You could implement a web service in your application and then develop a HTML site that accesses the web service to display the data. This way you can access your apps data through a browser from anywhere in the world (if you dare to put your Raspberry Pi on the network in a way that it is accessible from behind your hopefully existing wirewal.

Another option is to implement your own TCP/IP server in your application that clients can connect to and request data etc from. Then develop a TCP/IP client in whatever programming language you want, including LabVIEW, to let that access your server.

As to the TSExperts offering: They had a nice idea but nobody can live from air and love alone. Without a substantial community willing to pay for such a product it is completely impossible to develop such a tool beyond the initial "Look mom it works" stage. And the LabVIEW community by large expects things to be free beyond offerings from NI itself.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,719 Views)

@nickcc wrote:

I'm trying to run a LabVIEW executable on a raspberry pi instead of windows computer. I want to use the raspberry pi as a HMI to display sensor data on a VI/GUI written in LabVIEW.

Have you checked out this thread? https://forums.ni.com/t5/Hobbyist-Toolkit/GUI/m-p/4136915  If you want to do everything with LabVIEW then the G Development Software is the recommended solution.

Here is a presentation I gave on LabVIEW and Web Browser Based UIs - https://forums.ni.com/t5/North-Oakland-County-LabVIEW/User-Group-Meeting-May-5th-2021-LabVIEW-and-We...

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
Message 3 of 3
(3,697 Views)