From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raspberry Pi 4 LINX PWM

I am trying to run a NEMA 17 stepper motor with an A4988 motor driver. I have the LINX target firmware setup and I'm able to step the motor one step at a time using a boolean control and the Digital Write vi. But when I try the PWM vi it says the channel is not compatible with the raspberry pi. I have tried channel 18 and 32 to match the pins. I have tried channel 0 and 1 to maybe match the "PMW0" channel. Nothing works. How can I write a pwm signal to the Pi using LINX?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,231 Views)

The Linx shared library for the Raspberry Pi does not currently implement the PWM functionality.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,196 Views)

I have seen other posts where people have been able to do it successfully using linx, how is that possible? If I cannot use linx, is there a way to send a square wave without making one using delays?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,191 Views)

Probably you saw posts using arduino, not rpi

you can create square waves using arrays or pt by pt.

Jorge Augusto Pessatto Mondadori, PhD
Sistema Fiep
CLAD, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,188 Views)

I'm not sure how to do it with arrays. I'm trying to make a robot arm that will use multiple steppers, having square waves calculated manually might end up being overwhelming, right? Is there a hardware way around it?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,185 Views)

I recall RPi 4 does not have a hardware PWM chip type option, so you are going to have to setup a custom LABVIEW code to talk to a 3rd party RPi PWM board.  That is how I did it about a year ago.  I will try to see if I can find my old code and post it here.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,069 Views)

I have the same question on this topic. i wanna generate a PWM to drive the motor. how can it be?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,006 Views)

What kind of duty cycle are you looking for. I bet the timed loop is good for loops as fast as 10kHz. If you need to go faster, this kit has PWM capabilities. It's 90% there.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Community-Documents/LabVIEW-BCM2835-Library-for-Raspberry-Pi/ta-p/3539080

CLED (2016)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,936 Views)