Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview and RaspberryPi as dashboard and controlling turbine motor

Hi,
I'm looking for a system that boots up and functions every time, capable of reading temperature input, pulse input for revolutions and control a servomotor (fuel regulator). Someone has already built the system to control the turbine in Labview but I want to take this and put it in a boat environment. Will it be a practical solution to use a RPi. Will it run a Lab View VI independent of a PC or a network? I'm thinking to use the Community Edition and RPi 3 or 4. I'm not looking for a watertight super sturdy system but more a hobby solution to test the concept.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,258 Views)

In short yes, a Raspberry Pi could work for this.  It is capable of running LabVIEW VIs independently of a PC and network.

The real question is if you will be able to use the system that the other person already built directly or will you have to re-write a bunch of it.  This really depends on what was used in the PC based solution.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,245 Views)

If you had a little more budget, you could try the NI myRIO?  It's got alot of I/O, comes with a FPGA and plastic case, and pretty much runs any LabVIEW code.  LabVIEW on RPi is a little more restrictive, RPi doesn't support all of the LabVIEW functions.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,242 Views)

Thanks! Yes I think I will have to rewrite some parts of the programme for some functions anyway. It was also made for Labview 2016. Would that to make a difference from the 2020 SP1 community edition that I installed?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,230 Views)

You can open LabVIEW 2016 VIs in LabVIEW 2020 but you cannot open LabVIEW 2020 VIs in LabVIEW 2016.  The only issue you may have in LabVIEW 2020 Community Edition is that it is a Community Edition and if any packages used with LabVIEW 2016 are not included in it.  This will all depend on your code.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,226 Views)