Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV20Prof, NI linx1.0.09 connect to target Failed or loss

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi every one

my system LV2020 profesional, NI VISA , NI real time module, NI LINX 1.0.09

Raspberry pi 4 B, rsabian 10, expand memory, enable SSH,I2C, SPI,remote GPIO and serial(isable console)

install NI LINX 1.0.09 with VIPM OK!

then installing linx(20.4) on RPI successfully,

lunch blink example, detecting LINX target in real IP address ok

but

when run vi,  shows ERROR message "Connecting to target failed" or lost

 

* i try installing other LV version and DIGILENT or mongerel and hobbeyist toolkits

but last stage i can passed that lunch example and detecting target!

even i try to install linx on RPI manually but result is same!

 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(869 Views)

What do you mean that you tried other LV versions?  From what you posted you had the correct versions here:

 


@mojalan wrote:

my system LV2020 profesional, NI VISA , NI real time module, NI LINX 1.0.09


If you stilled other versions after this you may have messed it up and need to start over.

 

A screenshot of this may help to understand what you are seeing:

 


@mojalan wrote:

lunch blink example, detecting LINX target in real IP address ok

but

when run vi,  shows ERROR message "Connecting to target failed" or lost


David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
Message 2 of 11
(860 Views)

First thanks for your reply and apologize for bad english writing,  

First i try to instsl Digilent  linx on LV2014,  bat at same stage failed(instal lvrt ok, lunch example and detecting target ok, bat failed when run vi)

Then i try to instal LV2020 COMUNITY edition

But failed again

And finally 

I try to instal linx on lv2020 professional, 

And fail at same stage,

Everything seems ok, but when running example blink vi, fail to connecting to target 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(830 Views)

@mojalan wrote:

Hi every one

my system LV2020 profesional, NI VISA , NI real time module, NI LINX 1.0.09

Raspberry pi 4 B, rsabian 10, expand memory, enable SSH,I2C, SPI,remote GPIO and serial(isable console)

install NI LINX 1.0.09 with VIPM OK!

then installing linx(20.4) on RPI successfully,

lunch blink example, detecting LINX target in real IP address ok

but

when run vi,  shows ERROR message "Connecting to target failed" or lost


The English isn't the biggest problem, but it is your rather nonspecific description of what you are doing.

 

>lunch blink example, detecting LINX target in real IP address ok

 

The Blink Example is a VI, and according to you it runs fine (Launching means for me running it). But even if you mean with launching rather "loading" you have a problem here. Loading a VI does not do any detection of the target. And hence is no indication that the IP address is correct.

 

What do you have as "IP Address//DNS Name" in the Property Page for your target? If this is something like "raspberry_pi.home" change it instead to the real (dot notated numeric) IP address of your device (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx).

 

>when run vi,  shows ERROR message "Connecting to target failed" or lost

 

Now you run it again and it doesn't work??

Rolf Kalbermatter
Averna BV
Message 4 of 11
(823 Views)

Again but step by step  

#instaling LV2020,  NI VISA, RT Module and VIPM

#open VIPM, Find Linx toolkit and instal it.

# run labview, go to menu tools/makerhub/linx/new target and devics

#in target and devices windoe, only connect button is active and other tabs( instal, network properties and log) is deactive

# enter rpi actual ip address 169.254.205.xxx in host name, pi as username and enter my password 

#press connect button, connecting successfuly, now other 3 buttons actived( instal, network properties and log) actived,

# go to instal tab, it shows available version of linx is 20.x.x

In this tab 2 buttons exist, Instal button is active, press it

# after approximately 1 minute, 

It show a message " instalation successful " 

And now another button " luanch example " cpmes activated.

# press lunch example

# it opens vi(blink.vi) in empty project

#right click on project high element and choose NEA TARGET AND DEVICES, a new window opened

# in new window( new target and device) 

Expand Linx devices

Automaticcally find linx target with ip address above mentioed(169.254.205.xx)

# create this target and add it to project

# add blink.vi to this target( drag vi under new target) 

# connect LED( With resistor) to pin 7,9 

And select digital channel to 7

And open session function to local.io

In block diagram

# all things in this time seems ok

# press run button of vi,

It show error message" connect to target failed!

# even, right click on target name in project Explorer and choose connect, 

Showe that error message again! 

 

*I install all all steps manully(helping labviewmakerhub instructios) 

To sure that installation of linx is ok 

But finally connection to target failed (remember this target previous find by labview new target and devices window automatically,  but in ni max remote systems do not show any target) 

 

 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(808 Views)

https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/doku.php?id=learn:tutorials:libraries:linx:3-0:blink

 

All steps in this laviewmakerhub starting instruction, until last step(RUN VI) is ok,

But when i run vi, this show message" connection to target failed)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(803 Views)

Sounds ok, but I would still like to see a screenshot of your project AND besides that the Properties dialog of the Raspberry PI device that you can open by right clicking on the device entry in the project and selecting Properties (disregard the fact that my picture does not show a Raspberry Pi but a CompactRIO chassis instead, the principle still remains the same but I don't have Linx installed on my work machine). LVRealtime.png

 

The fact that you use a local link IP address range might be another possible problem. If you have the explicit IP address in the dialog above instead of a logical name, then that would be the next thing we will try out.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Averna BV
Message 7 of 11
(801 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mojalan

It seems my proboblem was weak power supply,  turn RPI to screenshot what you want(in this time, RPI without monitor,  mouse and keyboard)  and all things goes ok

But with another error,  connect to target, change serial.io to local.io and run vi, it show error message " this target do not support local.io) 

Please see 3 picture that i attached here

 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(771 Views)

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. The Raspberry Pi 4B is quite power hungry and can draw up to 2A for itself. From the offcial specs:

 

A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total.

So your average phone charger will definitely NOT work. 😁 They are usually neither good quality nor can deliver 2.5A. 😎

Typical bare board (no peripherals of any kind and not maxed out 100% CPU utilisation) active consumption is:

 

Raspberry Pi 3B                   400 mA

Raspberry Pi 4B                   600 mA

 

Depending on your USB keyboard and mouse, a typical 1A power charger for your phone will likely not be able to deliver any power spikes that can occur while the Raspberry Pi tries to launch processes or similar.

 

Not really sure about your other error. On my Raspberry Pi 3B it works. There is a chance that the LinxDevice shared library gets confused on the Raspberry Pi 4B because of a different number of IOs on this chip. The CPU is quite different in many ways and IO is fully integrated inside the CPU.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Averna BV
Message 9 of 11
(760 Views)

Thank you rolf


@rolfk wrote:

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. The Raspberry Pi 4B is quite power hungry and can draw up to 2A for itself. From the offcial specs:

 

A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total.

So your average phone charger will definitely NOT work. 😁 They are usually neither good quality nor can deliver 2.5A. 😎

Typical bare board (no peripherals of any kind and not maxed out 100% CPU utilisation) active consumption is:

 

Raspberry Pi 3B                   400 mA

Raspberry Pi 4B                   600 mA

 

Depending on your USB keyboard and mouse, a typical 1A power charger for your phone will likely not be able to deliver any power spikes that can occur while the Raspberry Pi tries to launch processes or similar.

 

Not really sure about your other error. On my Raspberry Pi 3B it works. There is a chance that the LinxDevice shared library gets confused on the Raspberry Pi 4B because of a different number of IOs on this chip. The CPU is quite different in many ways and IO is fully integrated inside the CPU.



@rolfk wrote:

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. The Raspberry Pi 4B is quite power hungry and can draw up to 2A for itself. From the offcial specs:

 

A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total.

So your average phone charger will definitely NOT work. 😁 They are usually neither good quality nor can deliver 2.5A. 😎

Typical bare board (no peripherals of any kind and not maxed out 100% CPU utilisation) active consumption is:

 

Raspberry Pi 3B                   400 mA

Raspberry Pi 4B                   600 mA

 

Depending on your USB keyboard and mouse, a typical 1A power charger for your phone will likely not be able to deliver any power spikes that can occur while the Raspberry Pi tries to launch processes or similar.

 

Not really sure about your other error. On my Raspberry Pi 3B it works. There is a chance that the LinxDevice shared library gets confused on the Raspberry Pi 4B because of a different number of IOs on this chip. The CPU is quite different in many ways and IO is fully integrated inside the CPU.




for time spent to my questions. 

It is my bad chance!  

I have two 5volt power supply, 

One made by lm3596 3A dc/dc converter

And second is 2 mobile phone chareger (each one is 1.5 A) connected parallel!  

Try to solve new problem after Iranian new year holidays (NOWROOZ) finished. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(723 Views)