From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to modify a continuous rotation servo motor MG996R to stop for actuated valve purpose?

Hi everyone, I am a final year student inquiring about my graduation project. I am building an actuated globe valve using a servo motor MG996R and Arduino MEGA 2560 to control the blockage level of the valve eg 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% blockage to induce a cavitation effect and to control the opening and closing of the water valve.

I used an example VI from LabVIEW. The VI is running well, but I can not seem to stop the servo motor from rotating as shown in the video, which leads the valve's head to be disconnected from the valve body. This is because I am using a continuous rotation servo motor MG996R. I already tried using a non-continuous servo motor MG995, which doesn't work as the globe valve requires continuous rotation to open and close. 

My skill in LabVIEW is moderately low as I am learning as I go. I appreciate it if anyone can help/guide me to solve this issue. Below are the details about my project for your information.

Servo motor: MG996R 360° (continuous rotation)
Type of valve: Globe valve

Backward position: 0-89°

Stop position: 90°

Forward position: 91-180°

Attached is the VI of the project for your reference.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,720 Views)

Hey tichuaryan

Since it is not a LabVIEW project, i'll try to provide some insights for you.

I did something like that for my graduation project as well! i used nema 17 stepper motor with an encoder to provide feedback from the valve position.

I believe that you need this kind of feedback to control your valve, to stop, open or close.

Jorge Augusto Pessatto Mondadori, PhD
Sistema Fiep
CLAD, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,686 Views)