Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get LINX to work with WF32

So I have a WF32 and I am trying to get it to link up LINX.  I downloaded the Arduino IDE 1.8.15 and installed the chipkit libraries for the WF32.  Using the Arduino IDE, I was able to upload the firmware example for Blink and was successful in getting the WF32 to show a blink LED on pin 13

Next step was to move to LabVIEW Community Edition 2020.

I installed the LabVIEW 2014 Runtime Environment.  I also Installed VISA 20.

I then went to the Hobbyist section and selected the firmware upload for the WF32 via Serial/USB.  After it was completed, it said everything programmed successfully.  

Unfortunately, when I tried to run the example, I got a runtime error. 

Error 5003 occurred at :

Open Serial.vi >>
Initialize.vi >>
Initialize Device.vi >>
Synchronize.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW was unable to connect to the LINX device using the following settings:

Interface: Serial
COM Port: COM3

Please make sure that the LINX firmware is loaded on the device (Tools>>MakerHub >>LINX>>Firmware Wizard) that there are no other open connections to the device, then check the configuration settings, and try again.

If this error persists please search, then post on the LINX forums at www.labviewmakerhub.com/forums/linx

Has anyone seen this before?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,767 Views)

@jpalomba wrote:

Next step was to move to LabVIEW Community Edition 2020.

I installed the LabVIEW 2014 Runtime Environment.  I also Installed VISA 20.

What do you mean you installed the LabVIEW 2014 Runtime Environment?  If you are using the LabVIEW Community Edition 2020 it comes with LINX already installed and installing a different version will cause issues.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,760 Views)

Back in LabVIEW community 2019, I needed to install the 2014 RTE in order to get the firmware to work.   It was similar issue to what I'm seeing now. It's been over a year since then, and I'm using a new computer, with a different setup since I last  successfully got this working.  

Obviously, I now installed LabVIEW Community 2020 and after it failed the first time, my first thing to try was installing the 2014 RTE.  Do you think I should uninstall the RTE?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,734 Views)

@jpalomba wrote:

Back in LabVIEW community 2019, I needed to install the 2014 RTE in order to get it working.   It's been over a year since then, and I'm using a new computer, with a different setup since I last  successfully got this working.  

I guess what you are saying is that 2020 just works natively

Correct, with LabVIEW 2020 Community Edition LINX is included.  If you use a non-communist edition you will need to install LINX through VIPM.  If you use the Community Edition do NOT install LINX through VIPM as this will cause issues.  If you are using LabVIEW 2020 and install the 2014 version of LINX I believe you will also have issues.

From other people's posts once they install a different version of LINX over the LabVIEW 2020 Community Edition the only way to recover is to reinstall the LabVIEW 2020 Community Edition as there is no way to just install it's version of LINX.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,721 Views)

So I went in to the package manager, and uninstalled all NI products.  I then reinstalled LabVIEW 2020 SP1 Community (Version 20.0.1 32 bit).  I'm still having the same issue.  It says the programming is complete, but the example VI does not work.

-JP

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,675 Views)

Can you elaborate on what the current issue is?  Is it the same or different then the original issue of the runtime error?

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,668 Views)

Ah, I did forget to include that info.  The current issue is the exact same runtime error I saw at the start of thread.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,660 Views)

Are there any chances that another application, maybe arduino IDE, is opened and using the COM Port?

i had this experience with an arduino, that even if not communicating, but opened IDE, blocked my linx (visa) connection.

check if there is something blocking, try to unplug and plug usb, also check the COM port number. one hardware of mine changed from COM 4 to COM 5 once.

Jorge Augusto Pessatto Mondadori, PhD
Sistema Fiep
CLAD, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,657 Views)

Reading up on this, I'm starting to think the problem has more to do with the arduino setup, than it does the LINX setup.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,622 Views)