Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burst reading FIFO with SPI

Hi there,

I need help using the LINX interface with RPi, trying to control a device (MAX30009) through SPI. I manage alright, but I am not sure how to burst read the FIFO. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

danny.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,103 Views)

Hey dansha, 

took a look at the data sheet and pages 50 to 52 describe the protocol very well.

unfortunetly i cannot test, don have this IC here. but if i would try something, i would go by using a bit bangging approach, practically creating the protocol in LabVIEW. 

by the way, i recently uploaded a video about a SPI not working and had to use this bit bangging approach. The video is in Portugues, but you may follow what i did. and feel free to ask for more information here or on the comment section.

https://youtu.be/d2maC57lmXs

Jorge Augusto Pessatto Mondadori, PhD
Sistema Fiep
CLAD, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,090 Views)

Hi Jorge, many thanks.

I tried your approach, rather interesting, but I am not sure if I can combine it with the standard SPI vi's, as the digital I/O vi's  seem to object to the use of pins 19, 21 ,23 which are the ones the RPi is reserving for SPI. Is the bit-banging method mutually exclusive to the standard SPI?

danny.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,082 Views)

hey, i really dont know. probably SPI pins are reserved, so no, you cant use them. But if proposed approach helps you to achieve your goal, why not forget about SPI and just use this approach?

i used other pins for my bit bangging (11 13 and 15)

Jorge Augusto Pessatto Mondadori, PhD
Sistema Fiep
CLAD, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,079 Views)

I suppose I can, just a bit more work. I wish someone would write this into LINX.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,071 Views)