From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

High-Speed Digitizers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to determine on-board memory

Is is possible to determine the amount on onboard memory a 5152 card has through the NI-Scope or Measurement & Automation Studio?

thanks!

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,981 Views)

There is a property called Memory Size in the NI-Scope API.  If you are using LabVIEW: drop the NI-Scope property node and select: Horizontal->Memory Size.  This will indicate the total number of bytes of memory for all channels.  For a typical 2 channel digitizer with a "8MB option" the 8MB is per channel, so the property node will report 16MB.  The 5105 is unique in that it can divide up all the onboard memory dynamically based on the number of channels enabled.

This is also available in C as NISCOPE_ATTR_ONBOARD_MEMORY_SIZE.

Message 2 of 7
(8,969 Views)

thanks for the information.  I was hoping it was possible with one of the utilities that is provided with the card...either NI-Scope or Measurement Studio.  I see that you can access many properties in Measuremtn Studio but just don't see the one you mentioned.  thanks again!

paul

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,959 Views)

Hi Paul,

Are you using the .Net Class Libraries? Or straight-up C? 

In the C API, details on the NISCOPE_ATTR_ONBOARD_MEMORY_SIZE can be found in the NI High Speed Digitizers Help under the Instrument Capabilities subsection of the Attributes (Online Version)

In the .Net Class libraries the equivalent attribute is OnboardMemorySize, a member of the ScopeTiming class.

We also have a Knowledge Base article How to Read the Onboard Memory Size of a Modular Instrument here.

-Jennifer O.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,938 Views)

Hi Jennifer,

I was hoping to do this without any code or LabView.  I was hoping this could be done with one of the utilities that comes with the card.   I looked through the info you sent and I do not see anything that leads me to beleive this is possible.  If Ihave to write some C code, I can do that but was just looking for a simple solution.  We have a couple of 5152 cards in another office and we are trying to give our colleagues in that office a simple procedure to confirm that they are configured correctly.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,925 Views)
Unfortunately there is no way to do this outside of the Scope Driver.  My recommendation, if you are looking for a simple solution would be to write a simple .exe that you can give to your colleagues so they can just run it and get the memory without having to mess around in C or anything like that.
Doug Farrell
Solutions Marketing - Automotive
National Instruments

National Instruments Automotive Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,920 Views)

For completeness, here is the code that that will return the scope memory size for the entire scope. Of course, you will have to edit the constant with the name of the scope. 

From the documentation,

Horizontal:Memory Size
Short Name: Memory Size
Returns the total combined amount of onboard memory for all channels in bytes.

check scope memory 2.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,704 Views)