cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI 5124 and PXI 5153 noise

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone, 

I am using PXI 5124 (200 MS/s, BW:150 MHz) for acquiring photoacoustic (PA) signals ( PA signals are the same as ultrasound signals).
A transducer 75 MHz is used to detect the PA signals, then these signals are amplified (54dB) to PXI 5124. It's working well.

Now, I want to use PXI 5153 (2GS/s, BW:500 MHz), and noise appears. Please see more details in the attachment files
I use the same configurations for both PXI 5124 and PXI 5153 which are passed self-calibration.
Can you let me know what is wrong with my settings? is there any problem with my PXI 5153?

Thanks in advance
Regards
WAM

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,979 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author WorldALoneMe

First 'obvious' deviation:

The lower noise 5124 has 12 bit resolution ... the 5153 has 8 bit. ..

next: even if you requested the same range, both cards have different ranges, so read the actual range property to check 😉  I guess you compare 12bit at 400mVpp and 8bit at 500mVpp  (one bit ~2mV !)

but  maybe the 5134 always sample at 2GS/s and mean the values while downsampling ... so RTFM 🙂

However the spec tells already

Signal to noise ratio : 5124: 58 db  to  5134: 45 db     , a 13db difference !!

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,903 Views)

Thank you for your reply, Henrik.
I totally agree with you about the big difference in SNR.😂
In my application, the photoacoustic signal is very small. (It gained 54 dB before going into digitizer). 
So I can not use PXI 5153 for my project (the noise is over the signal). 
I analyzed the noise by using FFT, and I see that the noise frequency at 5 MHz. (please see more details in the attachment)

Do you know why 5 MHz?

Thanks & Regards
WAM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,888 Views)

5MHz noise: Also present if the input is only a 50 Ohm termination?

Since you use a preamplifier anyway , you can always add some db to get over that noise 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,866 Views)

Currently, I config at 50 Ohm termination for sensor coupling (transducer, cable: 50 Ohm). 

How can I add some dB in the preamplifier, Henrik?
I have no idea about getting over the noise by adding something (dB).
Can you refer me to some documents about this technique, please?

Thanks
WAM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,858 Views)

If you measure the noise flor of the 5153 just with another 50 Ohm termination at the input (or without termination but a shielded open input and only the internal 50 Ohm) do you still see the 5 MHz?

You can try to add another amplifier between the preamplifier and the 5153 ...  add faktor 10 (20db)

(or turn the gain knob at you preamplifier 😉 )

Or if you have a periodic signal you can use lock-in techniques ...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,848 Views)

There was no 5 MHz noise when I connect PXI 5153 with the 50 Ohm terminator.
The background noise 5MHz just appears when I turn on the preamplifier. (No noise with 5124).
So what could be the problem?

Thanks
WAM

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,844 Views)