From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

High-Speed Digitizers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ni-Scope on Linux

Solved!
Go to solution

As the informations provided by ni.com are looking a bit out of date, I would like to know the current state of Ni-Scope drivers on linux.

Specifically I need to know if:

1) I can use the GHz sampling rate digitizers (ni 5154/ 5153/ 5152) with ni-scope on linux.

2) I can develop a C driver for these boards.

3) do all that on OpenSuse > 11.0 

thanks a lot for helpfull informations ^_^ 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(10,657 Views)

Hi Kitten,

Thanks for posting on Discussion Forum. I answer your three questions as follows.

>> 1) I can use the GHz sampling rate digitizers (ni 5154/ 5153/ 5152) with ni-scope on linux.

In terms of hardware, the most recent version of NI-Scope driveer for Linux, which supports SUSE version >11.0, does not support hardware you suggested (ni 5154/ 5153/ 5152).    As listed on NI-SCOPE 2.9 - SUSE, the hardwares supported on it are only NI PXI-5114, NI PXI/PCI-5122, NI PXI/PCI-5124, and NI PXI/PCI-5922.  

If any of NI PXI-5114, NI PXI/PCI-5122, NI PXI/PCI-5124, and NI PXI/PCI-5922 is fine for your application, the point is software related issue.  The answer is "maybe yes", the reason for this is because SUSE 11.0 is not officially supported by the current version of NI-SCOPE.  For more details, please see the following article about the compatibility between NI-SCOPE and SUSE 11.0

What Linux Distributions Do National Instruments Drivers and Software Support?

On the table, SUSE 11.0 and NI-SCOPE for Linux version 2.9 is checked as "√- "  As explained on it, √- means that the software/driver package is not certified to work with this distribution, but may work with an appropriate version of NI-KAL installed or other workarounds. Extensive user testing is recommended before deploying a system using this configuration.

For NI-KAL, open SUSE is supported from NI-KAL version 1.9.  

>> 2) I can develop a C driver for these boards

So what you can try is download and install NI-KAL1.9 on your Linux machine and install NI-SCOPE 2.9 - SUSE and develop your Scope application in C.  One important point is that the C and C++ compiler needs to be from GNU Compiler Collection.

>> 3) do all that on OpenSuse > 11.0

Already cleared in the answer for 1)

With considering all the situations above, if you have anymore question, post on this thread.  If you want to post in Japanese, I will be glad to help you in Japanese.  

Regards,

Osamu Fujioka ------ National Instruments Japan ------ Applications Enginner

-----------------------------------------------------------
  日本ナショナルインスツルメンツ株式会社
  技術部   藤岡 修

お問い合わせフリーダイヤル:   0120-527196
 サポート関連情報:  http://www.ni.com/support/ja
-----------------------------------------------------------

Message 2 of 17
(10,635 Views)

Thank you veru much for your answer ^_^

So according to the compatibility table, my best best would something like opensuse 10.x.

Unfortunately I absolutely need the GHz sampling rate, so I guess I will have to stick to Windows for the time being.

Do you know if there is any plan to support in the near future on linux these newer hardware ? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(10,628 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kitten

Hi Kitten,

The good news is that we are working on releasing a version of NI-SCOPE with Linux support for the PXI-5152. However, this is the only single device we will be adding support for at this time. I do not have a definite answer as to when it will be available, though we are trying to release it as soon as possible. I will make sure to post back here when it is available. If you need additional support, please let us know by filling out a product suggestion form here

Also, as Osamu mentioned, we do not officially support the newer SUSE distributions, so this new version will still be compatible with the same distribution versions. However, there is a chance that if one of the other supported digitizers can currently work in OpenSUSE 11.0, then the PXI-5152 may work, but it will require additional work by the user to test.

Regards,

Daniel S.
National Instruments
Message 4 of 17
(10,604 Views)

Tyvm for the additional infos. 

I am glad to hear that.

Luckily I was actually planning to use the 5152. 

I was wondering what could prevent an immediate port of the 5152 support to the other models, since on the paper the 5154/5153/5152 digitizers looks identical hardware-wise ? 

Message 5 of 17
(10,596 Views)

Hi Kitten,

There are actually numerous subtle differences between the 5152 and the 5153/5154, which is why they also have separate specifications documents between them. In addition to having to update numerous things within the code, additional testing would also be required for support of the devices. The same goes for having PCI support of the NI 5152, which is why this next version released will be just for the PXI-5152.

Regards,

Daniel S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(10,584 Views)

Hi Kitten, Daniel,

Kitten, 

I am really glad that you have been planning to use 5152, and, in great timing, 5152 will be supported in the newer version of NI-Scope driver for Linux.  Please wait a moment till the newer NI-Scope driver gets ready on firm reliability for newer Scope board.  At this moment, if Daniel's answer is enough for you, I would greatly appreciate if you click on the green "Solution" button, because you have brought up a good point and maybe some other wonderful Linux developers are looking for the information which is what Daniel provided.

Daniel,

I really appreciate your additional posts for helping Kitten.  Since I was just about to ask somebody in NI-Scope driver development team about high-speed digitizer support on Linux.  It is so amazing that you appear in so nice timing on this kind of thread.

Regards,

Osamu Fujioka

Applications Engineer-----National Instruments Japan

このメッセージは  03-31-2010 08:26 PM
に o.fujioka が編集しています。
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(10,563 Views)

really great ^_^

again tyvm for the infos.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(10,559 Views)

Hi Kitten,

I really appreciate you have checked on the solution button and thank you so much again for you posting on Discussion Forum.  I hope your successive achievements on your applications with NI products.  

Best regards,

Osamu Fujioka

Applications Engineer-----National Instruments Japan

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(10,551 Views)

Greetings,

NI-SCOPE 3.1 for Linux is now available for download! This version supports the same Linux distributions and application software as the previous version of NI-SCOPE for Linux, but adds support for the NI PXI-5152 digitizer. For more information about this new version and to download it, please visit the Drivers and Updates page.

Regards,

Daniel S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(10,496 Views)