High-Speed Digitizers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing tClk triggering device while running

I posted this over in the LabView fourm but was told it might be best to post over here.  I have a PXI with two NI-5114 in it and I am using t-clk to syncronize a trigger from one digitizer with the other.  What I want to do is be able to change which device/channel does the triggering (an edge trigger) for all 4 channels.  To test the idea and functionality I started with the niScope EX Multi-Device Configured Acquisition.vi and made some modifications.    For this example I wanted to change the which device/channel did the edge trigger from the first device Channel 1 to the second device channel 2.  I wanted to be able to make the change without stopping the VI.  I made a change to the case structure that sets up the trigger and attached Trigger1.jpg and Trigger2.jpg that shows the change.  Basically I changed the case structure that looks for the first index and changed it so it looks for the index that matches an indicator and also sets the channel on that device based on that indicator.  I also set all other devices to trigger immediatly.

These changes don't quite work the way I wanted.  When the program first runs the two devices/waveforms are triggered together, but when I change the device/channel (while th VI still runs) one waveform is triggered to match the new settings but the other waveform is not synced with that tigger (instead it seems to trigger randomly like an immediate trigger would do).  It was suggested that I remove the immediate trigger for the other devices, so I tested that as well.  Agian both devices seem to trigger together at the start but when I change the device that does the triggering (while the VI still runs) the triggers are not synced anymore, instead both devices appear to be using the edge trigger from their waveform instead one of them using the synced trigger.  I what the plots look like for these two cases ploted in Case1.jpg and Case2.jpg (also attached) to graphically show what I mean.  For these plots two sine waves were fed in to the digitizer (one in each device as described above).  The sine waves had the same frequency but a phase difference of 45 degrees.

It seems that I need to somehow reset the device in some way when I change the trigger, but it is not obvious to me how and when I should do that.

I attached my modified VI too.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,194 Views)

I couldn't attach more than three files above, here are the remaining two files.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,192 Views)

AFAIN: After changing the trigger condition (exept trigger level?)  you have to rerun the tclk sync process.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,128 Views)

I run the tclk sync process when I change trigger conditions.  If you check the Trigger1.jpg in the first post you see I check the various settings including device and run the tclk sync if it has changed.  Running that doesn't sync them properly when the device changes from the first device used to do the trigger.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,119 Views)

Thanks for this post 

bless you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,967 Views)

Are you calling nitclk configure for homogenous triggers again?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,957 Views)