From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Hidden Gems in vi.lib

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hidden Gems in LabVIEW 2018

The following hidden gems are new to LabVIEW 2018:

1. Sync.vim (located in vi.lib/utility)
    This .vim simply passes through two wire values. It can be used as a sync point on a diagram, where you want to ensure that data flow does not continue until the sources of those two wires execute.
  2. 1D Array Sort VIMs (located in examples/Malleable VIs/Nested Malleable VIs)
    These aren't technically hidden gems since they are part of a shipping example. However, the functionality provided (notably the Sort 1D Array.vimSearch Unsorted 1D Array.vim, and Search Sorted 1D Array.vim) has been highly requested by the LabVIEW community and may become official features in a future LabVIEW release.

Note that for LabVIEW 2018, there is not a new Hidden Gems package on the Tools Network. Version 1.0.0.10 continues to be the latest version.

Message 1 of 8
(10,935 Views)

So many great examples of defining an interface for extending the inbuilt LV functionalities with your own algorithm details (lambda functions), defining object oriented types etc. yet nothing provided as a real interface, making it impossible to actually extend this and provide your own types. Why is it that smart steps in the right direction get hidden and buried? Why not just do it right once, and not these timid steps behind the scenes? These kind of features should have been in LV 10 years ago.

Piotr Kruczkowski
Certified TestStand Architect
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(10,870 Views)

Will these show up in Quick Drop in another release?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(9,599 Views)

@BillMe wrote:

Will these show up in Quick Drop in another release?

I have not yet assessed whether there will be a new Hidden Gems package for the NIWeek 2019 release. I can say that LabVIEW 2019 includes a 'Synchronize Data Flow.vim' in the Synchronization palette that is an updated version of the Sync.vim hidden gem I mentioned above.

Also note that even if we do update the Hidden Gems package, we probably won't include palette entries for files in the examples folder.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(9,591 Views)

I know this is an old thread but I just stumbled across Sync.vim (after making one of my own). Apologies if this is fixed in LV2019+; I'm still on 2018.

BertMcMahan_0-1580765822619.png

What's the purpose of the sequence structure frame here? Shouldn't the subVI boundary accomplish the same thing? Just wondering if there is a compiler optimization thing going on that I'm not seeing. My version just had a/a' and b/b' connected without anything else, and it behaves exactly the same.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(8,788 Views)

As far as I know, the sequence structure is not necessary to accomplish the same task.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(8,783 Views)

Hey Bert,

I think it is because it is a malleable VI. These have to run inline which essentially removes the subVI boundary hence the sequence structure.

I've hit similar issues in the past where I inlined a VI but then the error line doesn't wait for the rest of the code to execute!

Cheers,

James

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
Message 7 of 8
(8,764 Views)

The flat sequence isn't necessary. The subVI boundary provides the synchronization, even with inline VIs. There should never have been a time where inlined VIs did not synchronize on the subVI boundary. James, if you can reproduce the issue, it should be filed as a bug report.

Message 8 of 8
(8,744 Views)