Hardware Developers Community - NI sbRIO & SOM

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sbRIO-9651: Carrier Card Mating Connector

Solved!
Go to solution

Can we get additional information regarding the position of the mating connector on NI's carrier card? The documentation online says that Samtec SEAF-40-05.0-S-08-2-A-K-TR is the connector on the RIO, and Samtec, SEAM-40-02.0-S-08-2-A-K-TR could be used as the mating connector. And the sbRIO-9651 - Dimensional Drawings show, I think, the center of the RIO's connector, I'm just not 100% sure how to align the carrier card's connector so it all plugs in together - we're making our own carrier card. Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,324 Views)

We dimension to the center line of the part which corresponds to the center line of Samtec’s engineering drawings and PCB footprint files.

image.png

For example: http://suddendocs.samtec.com/prints/seam-xx-xx.x-xx-xx-x-a-xx-k-tr-mkt.pdf
Are there any other dimensional details you feel are missing?

Message 2 of 7
(6,280 Views)

What you said makes sense, but I think it would be more clear if you had a drawing for the carrier card showing the RIO mounting holes and the mating connector's alignment holes. I've attached what I have in Altium. I lined up the mating connector to the center of the RIO connector but I don't think the two connectors have the same center point because in the 3D viewing mode, the connectors don't look like they're interlocking. I've also added images of the 3D view: one where the centers are together and the other is where I think the connectors should be for interlocking. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,275 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rvalencia2

Hello,

I tried to recreate your scenario by downloading and importing the IGS CAD data from our website and from Samtec. It appears that you need to rotate your connector 180° so that the polarization features are in alignment. One side of the SEAM connector has one polarization peg while the other has two. These pegs mate with the corresponding cavities in the SEAF. Refer to the attached pictures. As a side note, both SEAM and SEAF also have polarization pegs for mating the individual connector to the PCB during SMT. After working with the SeaRay connectors for a decade, it is my understanding that the respective PCB holes/slots for these pegs do not ever share the same X-Y location so you can't accidentally place an SEAM where an SEAF is supposed to be, etc. With this in mind, the big round peg shown in your picture shouldn't be X-Y aligned with the big peg in the connector of the SOM below it. That's a subtle red flag for something's not right. I hope this helps.

-Jeremy

Download All
Message 4 of 7
(6,245 Views)

Thank you so much, that makes a lot more sense. For some reason, I just really wanted the connector to plug in the other way. 

To complete the picture, based on Figure 1 (http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/376962c.pdf) does the pin assignment attachment look correct?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,241 Views)

I'm not sure how to edit my previous post, but looking at Figure 9 in that NI document, I need to flip my pin assignment. I based my schematic off the "J1 Connector Signal Groups" meaning my pin 1 is GBE0_MDIO_P and pin 8 is SD_D0 and according to Figure 9, that pin 1 should be at the top and pin 8 at the bottom.

That's all my questions/concerns. Thank you for helping me with this. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,235 Views)

Never mind. J1 connector is the connector on the RIO module. I don't need to flip my pins.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,230 Views)