From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Hardware Developers Community - NI sbRIO & SOM

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming generic or customized carrier board suppliers?

I imagine that there are numerous SOM carrier board development projects in the works around the globe right now.

In our case we need a very compact and rugged card (suitable for embeddedment into subsea instruments), with the main IO requirements beeing dual networking and a couple of serial ports. USB and some digital IO is on the nice to have list. The most complex of the ideal additional features is a power controller that allows us to set the card and peripherals in sleep mode for a given time...

Everyone will have their own specific set of requirements and not many will want to compromise much on the design, so I'm not sure how many of these will be offered on the general market. It would be intersting to see if there are many developers out there with overlapping goals though. The design and test regime we're going for will probably suit a lot of subsea and topside instrument vendor's for example. (In a different world this could even have been a candidate for crowd funding).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,374 Views)

To answer my own question/topic here; there are several companies that have and are developing boards (generic and customizable) that are/will become available...The race is on, but not that many advertise it openly yet (I have received private messages from some of the companies instead).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,050 Views)