Hardware Developers Community - NI sbRIO & SOM

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOM Pricing increase?

I've been informed from a client that NI has increased the SOM pricing significantly. It's not appropriate to disclose this information on the forum.

I will comment that the original price was 'high' and the increase is forcing my client and us to look at another hardware platform. We have resolved outrselves to abandon a LabVIEW based solution entirely.

I've been an active consumer of NI equipment for about 30 years and witness NI attempts to 'get into the OEM' market. I am certain from my observations that NI does not know what this is...

Very few systems can withstand a single component price of 100'rds or more dollars that is NOT drop in ready. Meaning the SOM needs an investment in IP to make it useful.The orignial SOM pricing was already at a threshold of pain and even completely closed the door on even 'entertaining' a NI SOM based solution for many clients.

My hope and that of NI Sales when the SOM finally came to market was to open the floodgates for NI to be and OEM component in high-end systems. Lots of my clients had very high hopes for SOM based solutions. I am not sure what the future holds for the SOM but all my proposed SOM projects are coming to close, due to pricing.

NI needs to get serious about pricing if they seriously want to get into the OEM supplier market. I've had NI sales recommed FlexRIO FPGA systems to a client setting a $35k system....the FlexRIO alone was $12k...just proposing this with a straight face silly.

Regards

Jack Hamilton

Message 1 of 1
(4,115 Views)