From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Hardware Developers Community - NI sbRIO & SOM

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOM Over temperature

i have a SOM 9651

What happens if during the operation the measured temperature exceeds 98°C?

after these events (in the following days) the system was reused

the system can turn off in an unexpected way and to turn on  when he wants.

what is the full scale of the temperature sensor placed in the Zynq?

Thank You

Manuel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,662 Views)

Hi Manuel,

I apologize for the delayed response. I will provide several pieces of information depending on the interpretation of your questions.

If you are asking if the sbRIO-9651 SOM automatically powers down when it exceeds the maximum temperature at Zynq, the answer is no. To obtain this functionality, you can compare the three temperature readings, CPU/FPGA (at Zynq), the Primary, and the Secondary to their maximum's in the specifications manual and power the system down within LabVIEW FPGA or NI Linux Real-Time.

If you are stating above that you subjected the sbRIO-9651 SOM to temperatures read at the CPU/FPGA (at Zynq) above 98°C, let me try to clear up some issues. First, any device that exceed the CPU/FPGA and Primary temperature readings on the SOM can experience unintended application phenomen. We test to meet the tempertures specified by Xilinx, and can not tell you with certainty what will occur beyond those maximums.

Second, when you exceed the maximum temperatures of any of the sensors on the SOM, you are likely decreasing the overall life expectancy of the unit -- by how much, we cannot say. If you exceed the temperature maximums, even for a short period of time, you may not physically damage the hardware, but again, you may see timing and application parameters exceed our specifications.

Xilinx's data sheet states that the maximum operating temperature is 100°C for the Industrial temperature device that we use on the SOM. The absolute maximum is 125°C. If the absolute maximum is approached or exceeded, that is when you will start physically damaging the device, but again, it is not recommend or advised to ever exceed the maximum's that National Instrument's specify.

The 98°C that we specify takes into account a 2°C of inaccuracy from the measurement device being used.

I would not recommend deploying a device that exceeded the maximums in an OEM application. If you are developing and prototyping with this unit, I would recommend verifying that the functionality you require is still represented. If so, it is likely fine to keep prototyping with. If your comment is stating that the system is unexpectedly turning on and off and having sporadically after exceeding our maximum's, then you likely have physically damaged one or more components on the board and it should be sent to National Instruments for repair.

I hope this provides some additional insight into your question and feel free to clarify or further explain any additional information.

- Tanner

Tannerite
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,226 Views)