Hardware Developers Community - NI sbRIO & SOM

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needs some advice on using SATA with sbRIO-9609

Solved!
Go to solution
Hi, I'd like to try SATA with my sbRIO-9609 for more storage. But I'm a little confused after reading document and I'd like to ask for some advice. In general, I'd like to know which SATA interface to pick and what could the potential risk from the perspective of software. The document which I'm referring to is CompactRIO Single-Board Controller with NI-DAQmx. 1. On Page 13, it says "Port for additional SATA storage. May be routed to an mSATA or M.2 connector.". So for the four signals for SATA over RMC, can I use it with normal SATA3 SSD? Or do I have to use it with mSATA or M.2 SATA? 2. On Page 28, it says "PCIe over RMC PCIe is routed to the RMC connector to allow for connection to PCIe devices. These devices may require a Linux driver in order to operate properly, which makes this an advanced feature not supported in LabVIEW. Example devices include M.2 SSD, additional Ethernet ports, or WIFI." And on Page 30, it says "SATA over RMC SATA is routed to the RMC connector to allow additional SSD storage integrated into the RMC board. These signals can be routed to an onboard SSD, M.2 connector, or mSATA connector. mSATA performs more consistently than other connecters in environments with shock and vibration conditions." So, I'm confused whether I can directly use LabVIEW to save files to this SATA SSD disk or I have to install some drivers to use it in LabVIEW? If driver is needed, any reference for me? And if I use normal SATA SSD (if possible), do I need to install extra software? Same question for mSATA SSD. 3. On page 109, it mentions a SATA Drives Submenu. Hence, I'm suspecting that once a SATA SSD is connected to the SATA over RMC, I should be able to configure them in BIOS, right? Last but not least, any suggestion on SATA over RMC is highly appreciated. Thanks, Tianming
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,721 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author richtian

Hi Richtian,

I see a few different questions here so I'll address them seperately:

1. For the four signals for SATA over RMC, can I use it with normal SATA3 SSD? Or do I have to use it with mSATA or M.2 SATA?
    • My gut is telling me that this should work, but I'll look into it a little bit and come back with a more concrete answer.
  2. Can I directly use LabVIEW to save files to this SATA SSD disk or I have to install some drivers to use it in LabVIEW?
    • No driver needed, the SSD is configured on a BIOS level. You'll just need to log files to a fiilepath on the external SSD.
  3. Once a SATA SSD is connected to the SATA over RMC, can I configure them in BIOS?
    • Yes, you'll configure the drive in BIOS. The SATA Drives submenu lives under "Advanced Setup".
NickelsAndDimes
Product Support Engineer - sbRIO
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,708 Views)

Hi Richtian:

Following up on point #1: You should be fine with a regular-sized SATA drive, since mSATA, M.2 SATA, and SATA 3 all have the same data rate specification. Big thing to keep in mind is the trace length requirements outlined in the System Design manual (Table 15, page 32). 

NickelsAndDimes
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,693 Views)

Hi, Nick

Thanks for your quick guide. I highly appreciate your help.

Thanks

Richtian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,671 Views)

Hey, Nick 

One more quick question. Valid power supply range for sbRIO-9609 is 9V to 30V. Just want to double check that a 12V power supply with about 10A ~ 15A current should be fine to run the system, including one SATA SSD.

Thanks,

Richtian

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,667 Views)

I can't speak to the SSD itself, but the 9609 has a max power draw of 28W. So 12V @ 10-15A should leave plenty of headroom for the drive.

NickelsAndDimes
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,615 Views)
Hi, Nick Finally, I get my 9609 hooked with my SATA. However, I'm a little surprised at its performance. I'd like to get some advice from you again. 1. For the SATA Advanced Setup in BIOS. I'm wondering which is the best setup that gives me the fastest and the most stable SATA. Based on my trial, it seems that the configuration does not make big difference. Gen 1 + IDE Mode seems to give me a little better write performance. Any suggestion or comments? 2. The SATA write speed seems to be not as fast as I expect. Based on my trial of a 320MB file write, it does not even outperform a USB disk connected to the host USB port. I'm wondering whether you know any benchmark on the SATA write speed with 9609. Any suggestion on the right way to stream data to SATA is appreciated. According to SATA spec, I'm expecting about 100MB/s write speed, which is far smaller than the SATA2 spec. BTW, if you notice anything that I can improve to achieve better performance, please let me know. Thanks, Richtian
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,511 Views)

If your wiring is not matched to the right impedance, you may have errors on low level, and you're not going to get much notice on such issue, the system will auto retry to get right data.

You may take a look at the S.M.A.R.T. data in 9609, maybe there will be some low level information on SATA IF.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,383 Views)

Hello Richtian

Please tell me which USB Type C adapter you used to connect the monitor and keyboard to the sbrio during BIOS startup. 

My Monitor does not see signal when sbrio is in BIOS mode. To connect, I used an adapter (USB Type-C HDMI) Buro BHP RET TPC-HDM USB Type-C (m) HDMI (f) USB 3.0 A (f) USB Type-C (f).

Or do we only need to use USB Type-C (m) VGA or USB Type-C (m) DVI?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,018 Views)

Richtian,

First make sure you enable 'Enable Embedded UI', this is done in MAX or via a browser if your cRIO has WebDAV services installed [BTY: I recommend you do add the WebDAV service] . This should assure the display output circuit is on...

I can tell you from experience - that with that on, you will see the 'cRIO BIOS' bootup messages and loader before the UI appears.

crio startup settings.png

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,002 Views)