Hardware Developers Community - NI sbRIO & SOM

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need suggestions for using RMC Ethernet?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

We are trying to use the RMC Ethernet on sbRIO-9607. Except those recommendations on Page 10~12 in RIO MEZZANINE CARD DESIGN GUIDE, anything else that I should take care from the perspective of HW and SW design? Any software switch that I should turn on to enable using RMC Ethernet?

Thanks,

Richie

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,971 Views)

Software-wise you need to generate a CLIP-file (right-click on the FPGA target in the LabVIEW project and select to launch the CLIP generator). There you select which functionality you have implemented on the mezzanine card and what pins you have used for the various related IO). Then choose that CLIP file for the RMC Socket under the FPGA Target on the 9607 target in the project.

If you do not already plan to have a VI running on the FPGA you have to create a dummy one (can be empty) and compile that for the FPGA to ensure that all the auto-generated bits (based on the CLIP) is compiled and put on the FPGA. 

If you have included a serial port for example you will be able to use it with the regular VISA-VIs afterwards.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,961 Views)

Hey, Mads

Thanks for your quick reply. Probably, I didn't make my question clear. I've been using RMC on 9607 for quite a while. I know the CLIP stuffs. But it's my first trial on the Ethernet through RMC. That's to say, I'm not sure what kinds of problems I might run into when I enable the RMC Ethernet and sbRIO Ethernet at the same time, from the perspective of HW and SW.

Thanks,

Richie

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,926 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author richtian

The secondary Ethernet should just show up, configurable from the web interface and all...As with other RIOs with dual networking you just need to make sure they are assigned addresses on separate subnets.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,909 Views)

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't remember even having to use the CLIP. I think it's in the base FPGA image that gets loaded at boot from the factory.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,897 Views)

Hey, Mads,

To assign addresses on separate subnets is the key thing to make both Ethernet work. Thanks for your great help.

Thanks,

Richie

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,889 Views)

You are right. There is no need to use CLIP if I just want to use the two Ethernets.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,888 Views)