Hardware Developers Community - NI sbRIO & SOM

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to implement EtherCAT Master in NI-9651

Dear all,

I'm trying to build an application with NI-9651 being EtherCAT master and 2 slave.

I have installed the NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT 14.0 and I'd like to know how to proced to create a EtherCAT master with my SOM

Thank you,

M

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,099 Views)

Hi cortexM,

Ensure that you have the secondary Ethernet port enabled in CLIP.  This secondary Ethernet port will be used for the EtherCAT master.  You will also need to go into MAX and assign the secondary Ethernet port for EtherCAT.  Please see this white paper for additional details on getting started with NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/10555/en/

Matt

Matt S.
Industrial Communications Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(4,403 Views)

Many thanks!

I have one doubt. Withe the NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT can I act as master for other devices ( ELMO driver via ethercat) or I can communicate only with NI hardware?

If I can communicate with other devices, are there some subVi to generate EtherCAT datafremes?

M

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,403 Views)

Hi cortexM,

The NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT driver allows you to communicate as an EtherCAT master with more than just NI devices.  It is, however, optimized for use with NI devices, specifically the NI 9144 EtherCAT slave chassis.  However, you can use it with third party devices:

Adding Third-Party EtherCAT Slaves to LabVIEW:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/FDA1318A8909D02C862574510060DB62

When you import your EtherCAT XML file it will create a generic EtherCAT slave icon in your LabVIEW project. When you select your slave you will see that there will be I/O variables for the various data that you can collect.  All communicaiton is handled by the NI Scan Engine.

Matt

Matt S.
Industrial Communications Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,403 Views)