Hardware Developers Community - NI sbRIO & SOM

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a USB-6008 to a sbRio 9637

Hi,

I did some searching and really didnt find anything, but working on a project for the first time with the cRio platform.

I need a few more analog inputs on a sbRio and wanted to see fi i could just connect a USB-6008 to the USB port. I don't need to acquire data real fast and the 12 bit accuracy is more than enough. I'm just not sure how I'd go about confiuring the sbRio to communicate tot he USB-6008.

Thanks!

Garrett

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,926 Views)

Hey Garrett,

Last I recall the DAQmx driver required to use any of the NI DAQ devices does not work on the sbRIO products. How familiar are you with either the sbRIO or the 6008?

There is an onboard ADC on the sbRIO 9637 that I'm sure if you asked nicely someone could whip you up a simple bitfile to interact with but it would require you to build a daughter board for the sbRIO.

Please let me know if I can help.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,897 Views)

Hi Kyle,

This project is my first exposure to the sbRIO. I've used the 6008 before, but only with the canned VI's from NI, obviously what you are getting at is much deeper into the hardware than I'm familiar with. What we settled on is to do MUX for all the analog channels. I was able to protoboard a few analog channels and have it reading with no issues.

Outside of that, I still think it might be worthwhile to look at how to do your suggestion just to help further my understanding of the hardware. When you say an onboard ADC, I'm assuming you mean something not on one of the connectors in the basic manual?

Thanks.

Garrett

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,894 Views)

Garrett, 

You'll need to add your IO to the project.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370984R-01/criodevicehelp/config_sbrio_reconfig_sys/

Your project should look something like this

temp.PNG

Try following this video series. http://www.ni.com/tutorial/14532/en/

He uses a CompactRIO but its very similar. This will be good intro to LabVIEW FPGA. Video 3 is probably where you can stop if you aren't doing crazy fast loop rates but I encourage you to keep learning if you have time as there are other mechanism thats are more scalable for data streaming. 

Finally you'll use the FPGA Interface VIs to read data from your FPGA VI. 
See the sbRIO-96x7 Read On-Board Temperature example in the example finder to see a simple implementation. 

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,889 Views)