Git User Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll: Which Git client do you use?

Hi all - I am curious to know what most people are using as their client for Git and LabVIEW. I have created this poll for the same.

Poll - https://linkto.run/p/62LRFVPL

I will post the results on this thread by EOD Oct 5th. If you choose the "Other" category, just add a comment on this thread with the name of your client and I will add it to the survey results.

Thanks,

Sumedha

Sumedha Ganjoo | LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(6,379 Views)

I have been using Tortoise for quite a while, but we're currently moving towards Sourcetree as a common tool in-house. So currently I'm, kind of, using both.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(6,364 Views)

We are using an internal bitbucket server with source tree

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(6,360 Views)

I use Visual Studio Code

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(6,351 Views)

I replied SourceTree but TortoiseGit is also partly in use.

Seems like SourceTree requires using Bitbucket or having an Atlassian account to get going.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
Message 5 of 25
(6,347 Views)

The poll didn't show a comment field for "Other", also it doesn't allow to pick multiple tools... 

In our team, we use SourceTree with GitLab repositories (both hosted at gitlab.com and privately hosted). I personally use Git Tower (https://www.git-tower.com/) both on Mac OS and in Windows running inside virtual machines. 

I find that the various aspects of (distributed) SCC like local and origin, branches, tags, even commit history and also gitflow are much better comprehendible in a visual representation. My 0.02.

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(6,344 Views)

Thanks to all those who responded. Here are the results from the survey:

SourceTree 10
Github Dekstop 1
TortoiseGit 9
Git Extensions 0
Command Line 1
Git4G 0
Other (can be seen in this NI community thread) 3

Date: Oct 5th, 2018

Thanks,

Sumedha

Sumedha Ganjoo | LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(6,323 Views)

I will go ahead and add to this even though the polling is closed - command line.

Message 8 of 25
(6,317 Views)

Currently use Tortoisegit with the lv_tortoisegit add-on (modified to fix a couple bugs and get it working on LV2017). I find myself using the add-on less lately since I switch branches with a project closed now (worried that LabVIEW might get confused due to VIs already in memory). The add-on could use a little improvement in that area. I use BitBucket as my main remote.

I occasionally use SourceTree and it seems to work just fine as well. The cool part is that you can use whichever one you want for a given task.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(6,313 Views)

Hello Joerg,

since you seem to know both SourceTree and Git Tower, I would like to ask you what the difference really is between the two.  I am using SourceTree and took a short look into Git Tower, but I didn't see anything that would make me like to pay for Git Tower.

I even wrote to the Git Tower team and asked them the same question; they were unable to give me a concise answer (I would have thought they would give me a list of things that are way better with Git Tower -- but none the like).

Greetings

MKr

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(5,954 Views)