Student Projects

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myPOD Stereo Audio Amplifier & Graphic Equaliser

Introduction:

The Idea behind the "myPOD" came from a second year labs project in University, where we were tasked with creating a stereo audio amplifier. I have used the National Instruments myDAQ as a means to read in an audio signal from a standard mp3 player, using LabVIEW I have built a software graphic equaliser and finally output the signal through a transistor power amplifier designed in Multisim.

The equaliser will have three filters with a software signal amplifier on each, these filters will be distributed between 20 HZ and 20K Hz(human audio range). The synthesiser will allow the user to modulate or attenuate any of the chosen filtered signals and also will allow for tracksampling and signal super-imposing.

The power amplifier will consist of two push pull amplifiersof AB class, which will allow for maximum amplification with minimum signalphase shift or distortion. They will be drawing their supply for a single 9V battery which should provide approximately a 4.5V Peak output.

Video Demonstration:

Coming soon!!

Materials:

ComponentQuantity
myDAQ1
2N3904 NPN Transistor4
2N3906 PNP Transistor2
3.3 Ω Resistor4
5.6K Ω Resistor2
1.5K Ω Resistor2
18K Ω Resistor2
2.3K Ω Resistor2
1N4001 Diode4
47uF Capacitor2
100uF Capacitor2
8 Ω Speaker2
9V Battery1
3.5 mm Audio Jack1

Software:

Graphical User Interface:

Simple UserInterface that allows the user to adjust the volume and amplify and attenuatethe Bass, Middle and Treble. Using a power spectrum graph the user can see the frequency ranges of the audio signal and how adjusting the amplification of thefrequency components affects the signal.

FP.png

Code:

I used the Producer Consumer design template to ensure efficient use of resources such as CPUand RAM, this is particularly important when developing code on laptops orolder computers. Using Express VI’s I have acquired the audio input, filtered the signals into three frequency bands, performed a spectral analysis on the audio signals and outputted the final waveforms.

BD.png

Hardware:

Using Multisim I have designed and simulated a transistor power amplifier. The software enabled me to rapidly develop the circuit and gauge an idea of the expected output. This significantly reduced the development time.

MS.png

Finished Product:

IMG_0743_Small.jpg

IMG_0744_Small.jpg

Video Tutorial:

Attached Files:

I have created a laboratory project for second year university students to follow.

The code written in LabVIEW 2010.

This was developed by Andrew George NIUK AE Intern 10/11

Ashish Naik
Automotive Business Development Manager
National Instruments UK
Contributors