GDS(Goop Development Suite)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link diagram to VI?

Hi,

I created a state diagram for an actor class, and in the properties linked it to the actor core.vi of that class. If I open the actor core in LabVIEW, how can I get to the state diagram I wrote? Going to UML->state diagram attempts to reverse a state diagram from the code (which is useless in the actor core). So other than hardcoding a link, how can it be done?

Thanks,

Danielle

PS I'm a newbie in this, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question...

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,886 Views)

Hi Danielle,

The UML modeller can currently only reverse engineer the LV code and show it in a state diagram.

It's can't create/update the code yet.

I've thought about implementing this, but haven't had too many requests for this.

But since the code is Open  Source, anybody can help out in doing this.

If someone has time before I can get into it, I\m happy to help out and guide the person along.

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,949 Views)

Hi Mike,

Thanks for answering!

I guess I wasn't clear in the above question. I'm not looking to update or create code from a state diagram. I wanted a method to go to a VI, or a class, press something (or go to a menu item) and have the state diagram I already created open. So that when another programmer looks at my work, he can click something fairly obvious and see the state diagram associated with that VI/class. Otherwise, how is a new programmer supposed to know that a state diagram already exists for that class, and how is he supposed to open it?

I hope I'm clearer now.

Thanks,

Danielle

― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,949 Views)

Interesting idea.

In the VI Properties, under Documenatation, you can use the Web-based Help (LV14), and link to a html file that embeds a PNG file with the exported diagram.

But what I most often do, is to take an exported PNG image and paste it on the BD, next to the state machine.

Message 4 of 5
(6,949 Views)

Hi,

I don't want to link to an exported jpg or copy an exported jpg because this is difficult to maintain - if there is a modification of the state diagram, you need to remember to export to jpg and copy to the correct place.

What I did was link to a local file in the documentation, and link directly to the uml file of the state diagram. This way if someone looks at my code with the context help he can press "Detailed help" and see the latest version of the state machine. I think that's clearer than just calling my state diagram "myActor State Diagram" and hoping that someone will notice it - because in my experience no one ever does

Thanks,

Danielle

― Terry Pratchett
Message 5 of 5
(6,949 Views)