FlexLogger

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-9228 vs NI-9229

Solved!
Go to solution

I have NI-9229 currently running on cDAQ 9174.  It only has 4 channels and I'd like to have more.  The 9228 has 8 channels with a smaller sampling rate (I don't need anything higher than 10hz really so sampling rate isn't an issue) and also costs less than the 9229 which only has 4 channels.  Is it safe to assume that the 9228 would be able to used in FlexLogger similarly to the 9229 in that it can be used for physical measurements other than voltage?

Types of physical measurements I'd like to record: torque, voltage x3, current x3, and then have another open channel for extra recording if needed.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,535 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author brethigh

Here are the available measurement types for the 9228 (which match the available physical measurements of the 9229):

9229.JPG

It also supports the same sensor class for torque and current as the 9229.

If you're ever interested in comparing support for something like Physical Measurement type for a device you don't physically have you can simulate it.

Briana P.
Licensing
Sr SW Engineering Manager | NI R&D
ni.com/support
Message 2 of 4
(3,515 Views)

Besides the difference in sample rate you noticed, the NI 9228 also has some built-in filtering options.

Keep in mind that these are both 60 V modules, so if you don't need voltages that high, there might be other options that are a better fit for you application at a lower price.  As for whether your current and torque measurements are supported for either device, that entirely depends on the sensors you're connecting.  Although FlexLogger lets you read a Torque measurement from your NI 9229, the NI 9229 is only capable of taking voltage electrical measurements which FlexLogger can then scale into N-m or ft-lbs.  This assumes that you have a torque sensor that gives you a straight voltage output that you can scale appropriately.  If you have a bridge-based torque sensor, you may need a different module.

Similarly, for current measurements you're not able to directly measure current with either the 9228 or 9229.  Instead you would need to hook up an external resistor and configure the channel as a "Current Shunt" sensor class.  You tell FlexLogger the reistor value you're using, and it will convert the observed voltage into a current measurement for you.

As to which module is right for you, the best bet is to compare the data sheets for both devices to determine whether the sensors and measurements you have will be satisfied by the module.  Like Briana mentioned above, simulating the module is also a great way to test it in FlexLogger to see what type of options you will have available to you!

Message 3 of 4
(3,511 Views)

Thank you, both!  I wasn't aware of the simulation so I'll definitely be looking into that for future questions.  And while I realize there are differences between the two modules, I'm not overly concerned with them.  It's a simple test we're running right now with a 48V power source, so the 60V modules are needed.  Thanks again for the info!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,476 Views)