FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

use of Compact FieldPoint controller without backplane

Is the use of Compact FieldPoint controller (say CFP 2110) without a backplane possible and recommended by NI?

Robert
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,810 Views)
Hi Robert,
   from 9 months I'm using 2 cFP-2020, not connected to a backplane, talking each other via RS232, with a custom protocol, running embedded application.

The 2 controllers also communicate by Optomux protocol and Rs485 with FP-1001 modules.

This work quite good, and I had the possibility to talk about this solution with  NI people at NI forums (NI Days and so on).

Of course, in this way you can use cFP controller as an embedded PC, you don't use cFP architecture modularity.

I hope this can help you! Have a nice day!

graziano
Message 2 of 9
(5,804 Views)
Splendid Graziano,

embeded PC functionality will do just fine ... have you had any feedback from NI folks if such (mis)use conforms with cFP operating instructions, warranty conditions etc.

thx, Robert
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,798 Views)

It is entirely possible to use the cFP-20XX and cFP-21XX controllers without a backplane. The primary difficulty in doing so is that you have to create some sort of custom mounting solution and way to cover the exposed electronics (where the module normally plugs into the backplane). Damage to this area may (or may not) be considered outside of warranty by NI.

Additionally, since the backplane is grounded and intended for normal operation, using the controller without the backplane may result in the module no longer meeting some of the EMC/EMI specifications. The module may still meet these ratings, but was not tested for this scenario at the time of its original development.

Regards,

Aaron

Message 4 of 9
(5,795 Views)
I suppose  warranty condition are for module itself, so it shouldn't matter on how it is stored.... but iyt would be interesting to get an NI answer!

graziano

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,793 Views)
robertmodic and Graziano,

Though others have had success using a controller not connected to a backplane, this is not an NI recommended configuration. As Aaron mentioned, we have not tested controllers in this configuration, therefore we cannot guarantee that they will meet their specifications.

Hope this helps,

Message Edited by Voltage Viper [DE] on 06-30-2006 11:31 AM

Ryan Verret
Product Marketing Engineer
Signal Generators
National Instruments
Message 6 of 9
(5,760 Views)
Thank you for your support.

regards ...

Robert
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,739 Views)
While I cannot guarentee compliance specifications without doing more research, NI does not discourage customers from using FieldPoint or Conpact FieldPoint controllers without a backplane. We even offer a mounting kit for the controller by itsself.

Here is a knowledgebase on the subject. Please post again if there are any more questions.

Eric A.
National Instruments
Distributed I/O Product Support Engineer
Message 8 of 9
(4,983 Views)
Hi
   and thanks Eric, we will consider this for the next project!

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,957 Views)