FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to read from FP modules

Hey everyone,
  I apologize if this is kind of a broad question, but I'm relatively new to LabVIEW, and especially to FieldPoint, and I was wondering what the most likely causes of read failure are.  I was brought in to my current position to finish a project abandoned by a professional developer (who has terrible commenting skills by the way), and due to my inability to decipher some of his code, I decided to start fresh.  Yesterday, I was perfectly able to write to the solenoids I needed to, and to read from the proximity switches and pressure meters I needed to.  Today, I could do neither, although the original code still operated with proper read/writes.

So what seems like the problem?  I'm using FP I/O Points that are directly tied to the hardware in an initialization vi, and I bundle them into usable clusters and pass them between vis.  Reads and writes are performed with FP Read and FP Write.

Thanks in advance,

- Jeff

Message Edited by JeffCWRU on 12-20-2007 04:05 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,654 Views)
Did you use any aliases for the names of your channels?    Did you shutdown power to the fieldpoint between yesterday and today?  What version of LV are you using?

Perhaps you need to download the .iak file to the field point again.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,647 Views)

Oh, sorry about the lack of detail.  I'm using the LV 8.2 Full Development System, and the .iak is included in the project, so it should automatically associate the programmed FP I/O Points with the proper hardware, shouldn't it?  The I/O Points are just dumped into named clusters, if that's what you mean by aliases.

Also, the modules are never powered down that I know of.  The modules we're using are as follows:

cFP-180X
FP-DO-403
FP-DO-401
FP-AI-111
FP-DI-304
FP-DI-304
FP-TC-120

I don't know if that makes a difference, but that's the setup.

Message Edited by JeffCWRU on 12-21-2007 08:37 AM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,643 Views)
It turns out it was a simple mistake.  I had included the .iak file in the new project instead of importing it as a FieldPoint config file.
Thanks for your help, Ravens Fan.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,636 Views)
How did you do that? All i seem to be able to import is a NI-DAQmx config file and no FP config file (right click-import)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,548 Views)
In MAX,
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,541 Views)
In MAX, instead
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,540 Views)
In MAX, instead of
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,540 Views)

Wow, that was odd.  Can a Mod please delete those last three posts?

Anyway, in MAX, instead of File -> Export, you need to go to Tools -> FieldPoint -> Save As to get a .iak config file.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,538 Views)
yeah, I got an .iak file...but when I the want to import them in my project, import .iak file is not avaliable...I can only add it as a regular file...
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(7,528 Views)