From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rs 232 ports of cfp 2020

I would like to know the procedures for connecting a serial device to PC through CFP 2020 . I have labview 8.0 full developement version installed in the PC. Targetting the device is done by making a new project and adding the controller to the list . After that what to do?,  i dont have any clue.
if we write a program to connect to serial port,  how does it point to the ports of cfp 2020 ? what should be the names of port . i tried giving com 0 to com 5 . and also tried using the test program posted in the discussion forums for testing the ports. nothing seemed working.
Is it that we need a labview real time to use these ports?
thanking you in advance
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,430 Views)

In order to access the serial ports on the cFP controller, you will have to write a real-time program that will run on the cFP.  The ports would be called Com1, com2 .....   The code would look just like if you were running VISA commands on your PC to access the serial ports on the PC, the only difference is that the code must run on the cFP to access the serial ports on the cFP.

If you need to transfer the data coming from the cFP's serial port to another device such as your PC, then the code you put on the cFP could write the data to a shared variable which you PC could access.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,427 Views)
It is possible to connect to a cFP 2020 without using labVIEW RT. Here is the link to the knowledgebase that explains the process.
Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,407 Views)
I apologize for the mistake in the previous post. It is not possible to access cFP's serial ports without LabVIEW RT.
Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,404 Views)

Hi - the above replies are correct, there is no (direct) way to access the cFP serial ports through a host application. Without RT there's absolutely no way.

I've spent about the past month writing a 'tunneling' program. I can tell you that while it is *possible*, it's a pretty big pain. You'll spend more time debugging the link as a whole (PC->RT->device) vs focusing on the direct serial comms.

My suggestion is to use an IP-based RS232 port, such as from http://www.lantronix.com. Take a look in particular at the 'UDS' External Device servers. There's only around $120, and allow you to install a virtual 'COM' port on your PC. The device get its own IP and from LabVIEW's perspective it looks like a local port. (PS I have no affiliation with Lantronix, 'just a happy customer for years).

Of course you'll either need a second Ethernet connection near the unit, or install a small switch/hub (4-5port) in your cFP enclosure. For $200 more you'll save a ton of time/headaches.

Cheers,

Jamie

v2009 devel. w/RT
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,941 Views)
Wow, sorry I didn't realize that thread was so old! Sorry for the clutter...'maybe the next guy/gal...
v2009 devel. w/RT
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,940 Views)