FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"out of range" error on AI-110 fieldpoint

Solved!
Go to solution
We are trying to connect Omegadyne pressure transducers (PX1004L1) which give a mV readout from a 10V excitation. When connecting the 4 leads (excitation, signal, and two commons) to the AI-110 we get an "out of range" error. Upon disconnecting the signal +/- leads and measuring with a multimeter we read the expected mV signal. If we reconnect the signal +/- leads and disconnect the excitation +/- leads and then connect those to a voltage supply (external to the AI-110) we read the expected mV signal from the AI-110. Any suggestions about what is going on here? We've already swapped the AI-110 head with a spare that we know is operational.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,673 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author drphil

I haven't heard of "Omegadyne", but I do know Omega.  Is this the device?  http://www.omega.com/Pressure/pdf/PX1004.pdf

You talk about 2 commons.  But from what I see, this is a 4-wire strain gage bridge circuit.  I think you should be using an SG-140 module to read this device.

Message 2 of 4
(6,672 Views)

D'OH! Thanks, Ravens Fan.  You are correct. All the other gauges on the system are capacitance manometers with VDC outputs. I don't have prior experience with measurement devices with a bridge circuit, but see how they work now.

BTW: Omegadyne is the affilate company that makes the force measurement devices for Omega Eng.

Thanks for your reply and help

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,659 Views)

Great.  I'm glad I could help.  There was one thing I didn't like about the write up in that .pdf link I attached.  They talk about an Input positive and negative and an Output positive and negative which was just a little bit confusing.  I've used other Omega strain gage based pressure transducers such as http://www.omega.com/Pressure/pdf/PX4100.pdf.  This write up uses the more common terminology of E+ and E- and S+ and S- (for excitation and signal or sense) for a strain gage based circuit.  Input and Output are not commonly used terms for strain gage based circuits.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,655 Views)