FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nipalsm ans OPC problems

I have just taken delivery of a cFP-180 network interface and after installing the software, the PC reports an NIPALSM.EXE application error on start up. Also, when I try to run the National Inst Server Explorer it too crashes. I can however read from the cFP-180 using MAX.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the software and it is the same.

nipalsm.exe is Ver 1.15.39.3.0
nipximu.dll is Ver 1.0.0.49153

I am using Windows XP

Any ideas what could be wrong?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,819 Views)

Hi Tony Dean,

When you get the error, does the dialog box have a link to click for more information about the error?  If so, please click on the link and post which dll is being referred to in the dialog box.  (Please refer to the diagram below for more information.)  If this is not the case, can you please either attach an image of the dialog box you are getting, or the exact wording of the error message?

Best of luck on your application, and have a great day.

Regards,
Ching P.
DAQ and Academic Hardware R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,803 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The problem was with nipximu.dll. Today I did a clean install of windows, followed by the Nat Inst software and everything was OK (no errors). I then installed other software (Keithley I/O layer) and the problem re-occurred. It looks like there is some kind of conflict between the two which is devastating for me as we need both of these.

Any suggestions what I might try?

Thanks

Tony

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,799 Views)
Hi Tony,

If you uninstall the other software (Keithley I/O layer), does the problem disappear?  Is this a IVI or P&P Keithley driver you downloaded from the Instrument Driver Network?  If you can give me more details on the software you have installed, I can see if the same thing happens on my computer.  Let me know.

Regards,
Way S.
NI UK Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,788 Views)
The Keithey software is the Keithley I/O layer, which is installed before the IVI drivers. The software is ver B04 and was downloaded from the Keithey site for the Model 7010 DMM. The file name is KIOL-850-B04.exe. The problem occurred just as the installation completed (I think before I even rebooted after the install). I cant remember if I tried uninstalling the Keithley I/O layer or if I did a system restore (I think it was the latter).

Oddly, even though I get the said error message at boot-up, everything appears to work OK - the original OPC problem has gone away and Ihave been using both the Keithley DMM and the compact fileddpoint devices together successfully.

I do still need to sort this problem however as it is to be shipped to a customer (I would live with it myself)!

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,784 Views)
Hi Tony,

Have you tried installing the software in a different order?  That sometimes fixes conflicting dependencies. For example, you could try installing the Keithley drivers before any NI software.

Regards, 

Way
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,760 Views)

Hi,

Yes, I have tried installing the Keithley I/O layer first and also with the National Instruments software first but the problem is the same. The DLL sounds like it is related to PXI hardware which I am not using. Is there any way I could  try installing a bare bones system. I am using only Compact Fieldpoint and need only the NI OPC server and MAX?

Thanks,

Tony

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,759 Views)

Hi,

Yes, I have tried installing the Keithley I/O layer first and also with the National Instruments software first but the problem is the same. The DLL sounds like it is related to PXI hardware which I am not using. Is there any way I could  try installing a bare bones system. I am using only Compact Fieldpoint and need only the NI OPC server and MAX?

Thanks

Tony

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,760 Views)

Hi Tony,

I wasn't able to find the Keithley driver you mentioned on the Keithley website.  Maybe you can send me a link to it so I can download it and try it out on my computer.  Can you tell me exactly what NI software you had installed?

I've found out that nipximu.dll is installed with both NI-VISA and NI-DAQmx which are dependent on it so you won't be able to remove it, at least not easily.  It looks like the conflict is between the Keithley drivers and NI-VISA.  Is it possible to just use NI-VISA to control the DMM and not install the Keithley drivers?

Way

Message Edited by TheWay on 05-23-2007 08:44 AM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,739 Views)

Thanks for your reply (and your patience), it is much appreciated. The Keithley driver is available from:

http://www.keithley.com/support/data?asset=50494

The release notes for the above (http://www.keithley.com/support/data?asset=50493)  say that the Keithley drivers actually use the NI-VISA runtime so I would be very interested in discovering what is involved in using this directly, rather than using Keithley's IVI. I will check this out.

The notes also refer to know issues with NIPALSM but I dont know if this is relavent.

I am not able to access the equipment today but I will find out the software info you have requested tomorrow.

Thanks again

Message Edited by Tony Dean on 05-23-2007 09:15 AM

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,730 Views)