From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple iak on FP Explorer

It's impossible to work only with one iak file !!!

I've eight FP-1000 connected to eight serial port (For every FP I've a serial port).

Between every FP-1000 and the relative com port, there are two modems for "commutate telephone line".
To start the Read/Write Routine on the PC, I've to send the RS232 command string for every FP Module:
"ATDT+phonenumber" with a VISA Session and after the "connection ok" modem signal (of all modems!!), i can close
the previous VISA Session and open my iak file.

Well...but...if a modem hang up???

I cannot open the Visa session only for the fault modem because the COM port is busy (the FP Server is runnung)!!!
I cannot close only the FP Server of my faulty line because I can create only ONE IAK
FILE (is a very great limit)!!!

The only way is close all and restart the routine....simple but...slow and.....(no comment!)

Can I create eight iak file and run eight Read/Write routine?

...NO?...HOW CAN I SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?

THANKS and Excuse my english!!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,976 Views)
Fabio,

Currently, FieldPoint Explorer is only capable of allowing one IAK file to be used at a time. Unfortunately, this does limit your options. Using FieldPoint Explorer, your only option is to call a FP Close.vi, re-initialize the particular modem and than call FP Open.vi again. However, there is a second option, not using FieldPoint Explorer. The protocol for the FieldPoint Serial modules is documented in the FP-1000/1001 Programmers Reference Manual. You can use the Optomux commands (serial based) and read/write directly from each of the 8 FP-1000's. With these VI's, you will need to leave the serial ports open. The Optomux commands are available as VI's in FP Explorer 3.0 and higher, but are only installed by default if LabVIEW RT is on the computer. If y
ou do not have LabVIEW RT, re-install FieldPoint Explorer and choose Custom Install, and add the LabVIEW RT support feature. Looking at the Optomux commands in the Programmers Reference Manual, or at the VI's, you will notice there are substantially more VI's/commands than with the FP Explorer VI's. Do not get too carried away with how many VI's are available. There are 4 basic VI's that you can use to do most of your programming; Read Discrete, Write Discrete, Read 16 Bit Data w/Status, Write 16 bit Data w/Status.

Regards,
Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,976 Views)