FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple 2 wire config to RS485 on cFP-2120

Hi I found this post http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/E110B51DC18C8D2EC1256C9F007552AE?OpenDocument  but what I'm not clear on is whether or not that just for a single 2 wire RS485 config or if it will also work just fine with say for example multiple RS485 connections in series. Specifically I am referencing this paragraph:  

"In some situations, configuring the cFP-2020 in this manner will still result in unexpected transmission errors. If you absolutely need to use RS-485 in 2-wire mode, National Instruments recommends using a RS-232-485 gateway or purchasing a separate ethernet, USB, PCI, PXI, or PCMCIA RS-485 adapter which natively supports 2-Wire mode" 

What I have is 5 temperature display/ controls that are equipped with RS485 communication ability but it is only the 2 wire version so I am looking to connect these 5 contols in series with each other and then to the RS485 jack on the cFP-2120.

I've just started with the Field Point family and it has been very interesting.Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,312 Views)

Hi,

The KB references just a single RS485 connection. However, in theory, you should be able to connect the different devices in series. I want to point out that you are using an unsupported feature of the controller. This means that this feature has not been tested and we cannot guarentee its functionality. Hope this helps and good luck with your application!

Regards,
Hal L.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,292 Views)
Okay thanks for the input. It will be interesting to see if I can get this to work.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,272 Views)