FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import FP using iak file

Solved!
Go to solution

One can add a fieldpoint device to a project by using the right-click -> New -> Target or device -> fieldpoint. This will scan com ports for a device and, once added, allow me to drag and drop a channel.

The (extensive) fieldpoint unit has already been wired into the rig, and it is impractical for me to add the fieldpoint to the project as I described above. I do however, have an iak file for the units, and so am I able to export the fieldpoint channels from this or from MAX somehow?

Secondly, There are 15 units on the bus and as far as I can tell, by using the fieldpoint palette (picture) I can

a) only communicate one channel at a time, and

b) the VI will open the channel, read/write, and close it again. Is it possible to open all channels in initialisation, then use say datasocket to read / write, and close all the references on shutdown?

Message Edited by yenknip on 06-03-2009 11:13 AM
(7,756 Views)

Ed,

Create an empty project, save it to a new directory and close the project.  Do not add a RT Target yet.  Copy the .iak file for the FP you want to target into the new project directory and rename it to exactly match project name.  EdsFP.lvproj = EdsFP.iak  Reopen the project and the target should have been added.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,746 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I've just tried it, and variations thereof, but I can't get it to appear

(7,744 Views)
What version of LV?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,736 Views)
I'm using 8.6
(7,734 Views)

Ed,

Try adding this step to my previous post.

Reopen project after copying & renaming .iak file.  Right click on project and select Import>Fieldpoint Configuration.  Select file that is in project directory.

Message 6 of 9
(7,732 Views)

Fantastic. Thanks a lot, I was trying to import it from the my computer drectory rather than the project root.

I don't suppose you could suggest something that could keep the references open to avoid muptiple open/close operations?

(7,705 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author yenknip

Ed,

Glad to hear that worked.  There appear to be some minor differences between 8.2 and 8.6 as to how .iak files are recognized in a project.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Secondly, There are 15 units on the bus and as far as I can tell, by using the fieldpoint palette (picture) I can

a) only communicate one channel at a time, and  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Most modules will allow you to read/write ALL channels at one time.  You can also create custom groupings of channels within a module if you desire.  http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/86AD45702FF1E71986256B4300644E45

Hope this helps.

b) the VI will open the channel, read/write, and close it again. Is it possible to open all channels in initialisation, then use say datasocket to read / write, and close all the references on shutdown? 

Not sure where you are headed with this question.  You can use datasocket but it is slow with lots of overhead.  I tend to stick with the FP Read and FP Write.  Here is a link to a tutorial I found that better describes what is going on during a FP Read/Write operation.  http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3346

Message 8 of 9
(7,698 Views)
Thanks for your help, and the useful links
(7,690 Views)