FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use serial port of FP-2010 and connect modem to it

i want to connect a modem to serial port of FP-2010.

can i do this if yes then how

Regards
mazhar
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(8,888 Views)
Hi!
  To use com ports of embedded controllers, you can program them as pc coms, it's the same.  So you can take a look at PC serial transmit / receive examples.  If you can do this, then the next step is to attach modem. 

Is it an AT modem? Or is it a point-to-point connection (2 modems, no protocol for modem handling)? Can you describe the modem name/type?

I'm not familiar with AT commands, and I don't know what you can find of already implemented.  But common RS-232 modem (non AT) are easy to use, since they just extend an RS-232 connection, and if you build an application which make your computer communicate with FP-2010 through crossed serial cable, then putting 2 modem in the is transparent.

Hope it helps, let me know before I go on Holydays (in about 2 hours 30 minutes Smiley Happy )!

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(8,884 Views)
Hi Graziano
 thnx for ur interest
the name and model of modem is

TRENDnet TFM 560X Analog Modem (TFM-560X)
is extrnal modem

regards
mazhar
Message 3 of 11
(8,855 Views)
Hi mazhar.ali,

Have you tried using the VIs posted by Jeff B in this thread?  They use VISA write/reads with the AT command set.  And, according to the manufacturer's website:

"TRENDnet´s TFM-560X is also compatible with virtually all communication software and capable of utilizing the AT command set."

Thus, in Dial Modem.vi (a VI within Jeff B's Modem.llb), the command "at&F\r" means "Load Factory Profile."  Do you have any questions regarding the usage of AT commands?  Is there some functionality in particular that you're having trouble implementing? 
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(8,842 Views)
hi Peter K.

i have cheked the modem.llb by jeff b but the problem is that
in that .llb vi's use visa vi's and which are not supported by real time i hav checked
now is there any other way to connect modem to fp(one thing should be in mind that fp uses real time)

regards
mazhar
Message 5 of 11
(8,827 Views)

mazhar.ali wrote:

in that .llb vi's use visa vi's and which are not supported by real time i hav checked

Are you sure?  I've used VISA VI's within a real-time cFP controller numerous times for the Com ports.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(8,820 Views)
yes iam sure and iam using FP-2010

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(8,812 Views)
Actually, you both are correct.  Prior to LabVIEW 7.0, FP-20xx devices did not support VISA.  Since the release of LabVIEW 7.0, though, VISA works just fine on FP-20xx devices.  Which version of LabVIEW do you have, mazhar?  Please refer to the following KnowledgeBase article for confirmation:

Is VISA Supported by FieldPoint or Compact FieldPoint?

Message 8 of 11
(8,788 Views)
thanx Pakman

iam using Lab View 8.2 and Lab View 8.2 real time

regards
mazhar
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(8,770 Views)
My pleasure, mazhar.  Please let me know if you encounter any issues with the modem library.  Enjoy your weekend!
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(8,751 Views)